National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fired a S&W 500 with a 4" barrell?
What was it like?
How would it compare to a Taurus Raging Bull 454 with 8 3/8" inch barrell?

·
5,082 Posts
Hi pardner..fired three rounds in 01/09..here in South FT Worth...but am sure was 6 or 6 1/2 barrel.....if that counts....reminded me of my old Ruger..super Blackhawk 357..with a good load....( hot I guess I mean :biggrin5:)

Wasnt to bad...but was expecting it...and I normally shoot 45 acp one hand...strong or weak...and am 6'3" and almost 300 still....

And have fired a lot of handgun rounds....so ..I don tknow....but lot of bang for the buck...not for every one I would offer....and unless is a family heirloom/gift..more money than sense...or..a 'definite gonna hunt with it.."...a waste of powder and brass for the typical handgun owner....

my opinion....:biggrin5:

have never fired the taurus raging bull ...if similiar to weatherby in simiiar cartridge....I would say from memory the bull would feel harder..per me only...due to construction I felt per this 500.....:rolleyes:

regards,

·
1911 addict
1,040 Posts
I've fired the Raging Bull and the S&W 500 with an 8" barrel. The Raging Bull cicked pretty good but not anything like the 500 did. The 500 required SERIOUS concentration just to hang on !! That being said , I thought it was a hoot to shoot but it does have the ability to badly punish your wrists. I can only Imagine the shorter barreled version would be even more of a handfull.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I've fired the Raging Bull and the S&W 500 with an 8" barrel. The Raging Bull cicked pretty good but not anything like the 500 did. The 500 required SERIOUS concentration just to hang on !! That being said , I thought it was a hoot to shoot but it does have the ability to badly punish your wrists. I can only Imagine the shorter barreled version would be even more of a handfull.
Having watched R. Lee Ermey shoot the .500 in super slo-mo (which made me wince) I am quite happy with calling the .44 mag and my hot .45 Colt loads my maximum. I get the power thing, and wish y'all well, but it seems to me that you can't abuse the joints and bones in your shooting arm like that for very long without incurring some long term damage. As it is I am half deaf from shooting back in the day, when putting cotton in your ears made you a *****. All that being said, it is surely a magnificent thing to see, these super handgun loads. Just not for me. I don't even like to shoot next to one of these guys with really hot loads at the range. Too much noise for me, even through the muffs.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I saw a guy at the range shoot one a couple of years ago.

The recoil had him point the thing at the ceiling.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yep, it has violent recoil, even with the compensator.

i have no need for that much power in a pistol-for that kind of energy i'll use a rifle.

lee ermy fired a s&w 500 the other day on his show "locked and loaded". they showed the recoil impulse in slow motion-you could see his forearm bone flexing lol

a taurus raging bull with an 8incher will be more pleasant to shoot in 454. that would be my choice between the two.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have both the 8 3/8" and the 4 inch 500. I have shot some very heavy loads through the longer one with no problem but I limit the 4 inch version to 350 grains or less. The recoil impulse is straighter back on these guns than alot of others which slaps your hand pretty good. I would say the 500 will recoil much more than the Raging Bull depending on what ammo you use. There are loads like the 275 grain CorBon load that dont recoil bad (and take a deer very good!) on also the 500 Special. These loads still have a bunch of power but are more easy to handle. Then you can always jump up in power level if it is ever needed.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think these guns are a novelty at best and unless you are stalking large bears or trying to protect yourself from the same they serve little purpose.

Gun safe queens that you pull out just for some range fun once in a great while. I rarely shoot my 44 mag anymore since its a heavy kicker.:yikes1:
Funny how that used to be the standard of heavy recoil back in the 1970's.

If a hunter or guide in grizzly country, I can see the value in a four inch barrel 454, 475 linebaugh, 44 mag or 500 S&W. I hear that when faced with a grizzly attack you don't even feel the recoil since your adrenaline gives you super human strength to tame that weapon.:biggrin5:

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
I enjoy shooting the magnums and big bore handguns... I have them all, from the little bitty .32H&R Magnum all the way up to and including the S&W 500. I have shot some custom hunting loads in my 8 and 3/8 500 using FNL bullets up to 700 grains. Yes, the gun has a major recoil.

Having said that, I don't believe one person can estimate the recoil he/she may feel by watching someone else shoot the gun. There are so many variables. Shooting experience, body size, length of arm in relation to body height, shape of grip frame, and grips just to name a few.

As an example.... I can shoot my .480 Ruger, .460 S&W, and my 500S&W many times with no actual discomfort. On the other hand, my .454 Raging Bull is very uncomfortable for me to shoot. And I am talking similar factory ammunition.

I don't know if its the shape of the grip frame, difference in barrel length, the grips themselves, or what the problem but the Bull is my most uncomfortable big bore for me to shoot.

Recoil can be affected by many things. I have 3 .44 Mag Ruger Blackhawks. One has factory stock grips, one has Pachmayr rubber grips, and the third has Herrett oversize wooden grips with a thumbrest. Shooting the same ammunition the stock grips are uncomfortable, the Pachmayrs are OK, and the oversize Herrets make the gun feel like a .357 at worse.

I understand that the stock Blackhawk grips are designed to roll back in the hand absorbing recoil. That may work for some but the grips feel so small in my hand that my fingers overlap and I don't feel like I have control in the recoil.

Don

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I bet those 700 grain bullets have a bit of penetration, dont they!

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
BW, I posted a while back about shooting them. You had mentioned shooting sealed 5 gallon buckets full of water and how they really blew up so I tried it.

One of the buckets I shot was full of dry powdered ready mix concrete. It made a dust cloud bigger than my barn!

Don

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think these guns are a novelty at best and unless you are stalking large bears or trying to protect yourself from the same they serve little purpose.

Gun safe queens that you pull out just for some range fun once in a great while. I rarely shoot my 44 mag anymore since its a heavy kicker.:yikes1:
Funny how that used to be the standard of heavy recoil back in the 1970's.

If a hunter or guide in grizzly country, I can see the value in a four inch barrel 454, 475 linebaugh, 44 mag or 500 S&W. I hear that when faced with a grizzly attack you don't even feel the recoil since your adrenaline gives you super human strength to tame that weapon.:biggrin5:

yep, i agree :thumbsup:

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I heard it said the best like this.....

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." :wink: :lol: :thumbsup:

Don

..........ok :confused:

not sure what you're trying to infer, i assure you i can fire a 500 magnum...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have one with 8"bbl sitting in a custom holster un the closet for BIG emergencies but i wouldnt recomend anything shorter i have a friend who bought one of the Smith & Wesson survival packs with the .500 Mag in it and I fired one round put the gun down and never shot it again lol.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have one with 8"bbl sitting in a custom holster un the closet for BIG emergencies but i wouldnt recomend anything shorter i have a friend who bought one of the Smith & Wesson survival packs with the .500 Mag in it and I fired one round put the gun down and never shot it again lol.

I have a few friends that have shot mine with the same results! LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts