National Gun Forum banner

Rusty old Winchester 120, is there anything I can do?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Popeye 
#1 ·
So a while back a buddy of mine was cleaning house and sold me his old Winchester 120. The inside of barrel, action, and internals are all fine and dandy but there's a lot of surface corrosion on the outside and I was wondering what I could do (if anything) to clean the gun up a little, or just maintain its current state to keep it from rusting further. Currently I give it an oil rub every now and again and keep some silica gel packs in the case to wick up any and all moisture.

I saw a video where a guy used an older penny to scrape a bunch of rust off, but I kinda want to see if I can do anything better.
Cylinder Metal
Electronics Electronic device
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't keep it in the case, that is probably one of the worst ways to store a firearm only second to the swimming pool.

Reactions: RMLamp and Popeye
#5 ·
DO NOT sand it unless you're going to have it reblued.

The penny (or, better yet, nickel) trick is time consuming but is the least expensive way to remove corrosion from firearms externals without damaging the remaining blue finish.

Store it in a silicone treated Sack-Up gun sock: Home - SACKUPS They're available most everywhere. After putting it in the gun sock, put it in the gun case.

#8 ·

A good penetrating oil works much, much better than 3 in 1 oil. A worn out T-shirt works better than paper towels. Rust removal goes quicker if the penetrating oil is applied 24 hours in advance so it has time to 'work'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.