National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Judging by the photo, it would appear to hold 17 rounds. This is the problem I have with Ruger. Bill Ruger has said on national television that, "No man needs a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds". They know damn good and well that a 10 shot 9MM wouldn't sell any better than a bald cat, so they offer Hi-Cap models. Yet they won't sell 20 round Hi-Caps for the Mini 14. This forces their customers to buy crappy aftermarket magazines that don't feed worth a damn, or else pay $40.00 to $60.00 for Ruger Hi-Caps on the "open market". Ruger really needs to wise up and stop talking out of both sides of their mouths regarding this magazine issue, and to stop being what amounts to anti gun with their own products. Bill T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill has been dead for a few years now. I think we can forgive him for his one big mistake. Most of us have forgiven Smith and Wesson for making deals with Clinton, now that someone else owns the company, I think we can forgive Sturm, Ruger and company now that Bill is dead and Bill, JR. no longer runs it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the Ruger single action wheel guns and the .22 target models. I've sold every semi auto Ruger I had except for the Guns & Ammo P90th .45 which I hope will appreciate in value.
It took me years to forgive S&W, I just bought a Chief's Special in .45 ACP. The first modern Smith I've owned in eight years. I've got a model 1 1/2 and a model 4, both top breaks C&R.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
gunman42782 said:
Bill has been dead for a few years now. I think we can forgive him for his one big mistake. Most of us have forgiven Smith and Wesson for making deals with Clinton, now that someone else owns the company, I think we can forgive Sturm, Ruger and company now that Bill is dead and Bill, JR. no longer runs it.
That would be true if they changed their perspective. They have not. You still cannot buy Hi-Cap magazines for the Ruger Mini 14. Why not, I must ask? If you write to the company, they will tell you in no uncertain terms "They are not for sale to the civilian market". Why not? They sell 17 and 15 round magazines all day long to the "civilians" who buy their 9 MM's. So, why not sell the same to the Mini 14 owners, who have in fact spent more for their rifles??? I can forgive. But not those who continually stick it you know where! S&W has made no such magazine demands on their customers.They have dissolved the Clinton agreement as soon as Safe-T-Hammer bought them. Since, they have done nothing but satisfy shooters. Ruger customers still have to beg for Hi-Caps at a big price. That sucks, pure and simple! Ruger needs to wake up to their silly crap!. Pure and simple! Bill T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you on the magazines. But, even though they supposedly will not sell them to us, they are all over the internet. Yeah, they will cost you a pretty penny, but they are out there. Before I got rid of my Mini 14, I had 4 20 rounders.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Baldy said:
Now that looks like a winner if they build the dependability in it that they have in their other auto's. This one is designed for carry. The others were just to bulky for my taste. --Shenine--

What he said! ;)

I'm a big fan of Ruger's, and I would expect this to be as good as their others.........

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've written about my personal and professional dealings with Ruger. The man is dead. He's been dead for over five years. His company doesn't do everything that I would do if I were CEO. Neither did the company I worked for for many yrs. We all vote with our checkbooks. I own about 6 Rugers in my humble collection. I own no Chinese or Russian firarms.

That said, the SR 9 fills a gaping gap in their product line. I've been selling KelTec, MiniGlochhhs and others to many of my CCW clients and will now look at this new entry and assess whether it's a good choice for carry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the one major gap in their product line, and unlike other Ruger semis it isn't butt ugly.

If it is half as good as the other Ruger's I played with this might one day end up in my collection.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Ordered a SR9 this afternoon. It should be in my hands in about 2 weeks or so. :--- :--- :--- :--- :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
G & L -- Yes, I agree, it's not nearly ugly enough to be a Ruger SA. I wonder if it's produced in-house or imported and re-branded.

Kansas -- Range report PLEEZE!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a look at the new SR9 today at the gun store. It comes with a pretty cool knife as well. The gun feels nice. It the thinnest automatic Ruger has ever made. Balanced well and light. The only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger. It sucked (IMO). It starts smooth, but ends with a hard nasty click. Price was $519 + tax. (cash buyers get 5% off)

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
gunrnr said:
G & L -- Yes, I agree, it's not nearly ugly enough to be a Ruger SA. I wonder if it's produced in-house or imported and re-branded.

Kansas -- Range report PLEEZE!
OK gunrnr.......................I'll do it :!:

Hope it get's here early :!: :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks good enough, feels proper in the hand, but, at least the one i tried, had the most god awful trigger ever. I felt like it kept binding over the whole length of travel, releasing with ambiguity and tons of overtravel. Hope they aren't all that way, I love Ruger rifles and wheelguns.....

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
tyler1171 said:
It looks good enough, feels proper in the hand, but, at least the one i tried, had the most god awful trigger ever. I felt like it kept binding over the whole length of travel, releasing with ambiguity and tons of overtravel. Hope they aren't all that way, I love Ruger rifles and wheelguns.....
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. As much as I like and respect the brand, I dislike intensely the feel of their double action (revolvers or autos). I was hoping to see a better job on the new carry pistol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts