National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally had an opportunity to get my new Mark IV Target on the range yesterday. I have been comparing it to my older Standard Model, and so I took both along for a run. It was not the best day for shooting at our range because it was quite windy (15-25 and gusts to 30+) and they were cross winds out of the south while shooting East. When the wind is erratic I find it a bit difficult to hold anything still with freehand shooting, and the bench was better, but still buffeting the body enough to be a pain. But, it was 63 degrees in NW Iowa in the first week of March, so you go outside and play! Last year at this time it was minus 5. :yikes1:

Comparing the guns, I found the easy takedown, mag release, and bolt hold open to be great improvements on the Mark IV! The Mark IV will not fire with the mag removed, and I do not find that an improvement. The safety lever is much better on the Mark IV, easily operated by shooting hand thumb, however, the ambi safety would pinch my hand on the right side every time I took the safety off until I removed the right side lever. Thankfully Ruger provides the small donut to replace the lever and eliminate it. I really like the old Standard Model trigger better than the new one, though it will likely improve with age. The older guns trigger is much more of a clean crisp release with 2.75 lb trigger. The Mark IV trigger was right at 4.0 lb., not nearly as crisp and more take up. They are both good, but the old girl is better. Sights on the Mark IV are target adjustable, so better in my opinion. Both sights are good function black target sights. As much as I do like the Mark IV, I have to admit the Standard Model feels a little better in my hand too; the Mark IV feels a little blocky in the grip compared to the older gun.

Shooting yesterday was nothing to brag about as I was being blown about, but I was able to get the sights adjusted on the Mark IV and run about 150 rounds through each gun. They both run good on just about any high vel ammo except Winchester white box which tended to be too weak and failed to move the bolt back far enough to pick up the next round occasionally, and a couple stovepipes too. Good results with Federal range pack, CCI, Browning and even some Remington. Accuracy was better with the old Standard Model, though the wind made groups pretty poor anyway. But the older gun showed tighter grouping overall.

I like both guns, and I have some nice wood grips on the way for both of them, but I can shoot golf balls at 15 yards with the Standard Model, and at this point I am not sure I could do it as effectively with the Mark IV. But, another 500 or so rounds...who knows!

545ABA86-64B2-4562-8D0C-48DECAFA4863.jpeg

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
My Mark 4 is improving with use. My 3 also has a light trigger. To light sometimes lol.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could become a serious Ruger Mark collector with there being so many models and variants. I don’t know how many there are but I have 3 different ones now.
They are really good guns for the money. I was eyeing a Mark II the other day that was for sale...might go back and see if I can negotiate a good price if it is still available.

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
I have a Mark I with the 6” tapered barrel. I have a Mark II thats the Army pistol team model. It’s a 6 1/4 bull barrel. It’s had some trigger work. The trigger is about 3/4 pound. I should test it. I have a Mark II it’s a 4” taper barrel. I think I’d like to get a Mark IV or another Mark II.

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
I plan on adding a 1 and 2 to my collection. Im real proud of my pre-mark erra 22/45.
DSCF8357.JPG

·
Aim true !
10,347 Posts
Ok cool. Thanks for the education on it. Good to learn new things. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Mark II’s are notoriously accurate and the 22/45 target like yours is a great pistol.
My Mark II with it's Clark Trigger, has to be in the category of the old High Standards, challenging the worked over Brownings.
My Ruger with it's 10 " Bull Barrel, & aimpoint red dot, and my eyes ...won a few Action 22 matches . Don't bet on my eyes anymore.
(Looks like Tom Cruse's " Collateral Gun" ... Just stainless for the Pop Look.)

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Mark II with it's Clark Trigger, has to be in the category of the old High Standards, challenging the worked over Brownings.
My Ruger with it's 10 " Bull Barrel, & aimpoint red dot, and my eyes ...won a few Action 22 matches . Don't bet on my eyes anymore.
(Looks like Tom Cruse's " Collateral Gun" ... Just stainless for the Pop Look.)
Those 10” barrels are something! I know what you mean about the eyes...mine are not what they used to be and they never were great! Please post a picture of your Ruger, if you don’t mind. We all like pictures!

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
Th Navy Seals have their own internally surpressed model which can be fired underwater or completely soaked. They say it’s not only accurate but VERY quiet.
Everyone should start pistol shooting with a Ruger Mark series pistol. We used to shoot pin matches and could drop 5 steel bowling pin silhouettes in less than three seconds at 26’.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a Mark I with the 6” tapered barrel. I have a Mark II thats the Army pistol team model. It’s a 6 1/4 bull barrel. It’s had some trigger work. The trigger is about 3/4 pound. I should test it. I have a Mark II it’s a 4” taper barrel. I think I’d like to get a Mark IV or another Mark II.
Both of these pistols have a 6-inch bull barrel, one being the slab-side Mark II Competition Target in stainless steel. The bottom pistol is the Ruger Mark II Government version, also 6 inch length. Measured trigger pull using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge is 2½ pounds, as produced:

The Mark II Government models were made up from extra parts after the military contract was fulfilled. These pistols "all" have a roller burnished, hardened chamber. Sights were laser targeted at the factory, per the original military contract. They were not a whole lot of these pistols sold to civilians, so if anyone has one......cherish it, the value keeps going up.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Th Navy Seals have their own internally surpressed model which can be fired underwater or completely soaked. They say it’s not only accurate but VERY quiet.
Everyone should start pistol shooting with a Ruger Mark series pistol. We used to shoot pin matches and could drop 5 steel bowling pin silhouettes in less than three seconds at 26’.
I used to shoot actual bowling pins when we still had those shoots around here. Pins were set at the back edge of the table for .22 rimfire shooters, and shot from 20 feet. Time clearing the table was your score with 1½ seconds being common. Had to be accurate shooting at those curved surfaces on the actual bowling pins we got that the local bowling alley was throwing away.
Here again, my favorite "pin-gun" is a Ruger Mark II having a compensator that I made and attached. It is screwed on, but I'll bet you can't find the line between comp and barrel face:

·
Premium Member
5,976 Posts
Nice! Those pin shoots were a blast. Some guys would be pacing, all nervous waiting for their turn. My brother was the asst manager of a sporting goods store and would bring prizes and gift certificates fir the fastest times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I Shot a MK II with a suppressor. With sub-sonic ammo it was "movie" silent. Most suppressed weapons are not nearly as quiet as they would lead you to believe in the movies.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I Shot a MK II with a suppressor. With sub-sonic ammo it was "movie" silent. Most suppressed weapons are not nearly as quiet as they would lead you to believe in the movies.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Yah, especially that Colt Python in the movie "Magnum Force" when that motorcycle cop shoved that alleged silencer over the barrel. OOPs! Forgot about the cylinder gap making a ruckus as the revolver is fired.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts