National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a Ruger Speed Six at my local gun dealers. One walked in the door the other day. Blued finish,2 3/4" bbl., either Pachmeyer or Hougue rubber grips. Still locks up tight, has some holster wear ( I`m assuming) at some places on the finish and I`m guessing a trigger job at one time as the trigger pull in DA is pretty light. I`d say overall condition would be good because of the wear and condition of the finish. I have wanted one of these for a while now. Dealer wants 320 bucks to me and will probaly go to 300 if I squeeze enough. Is it worth it guys and gals? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated. I think 1988 was the last year for these to be manufactured and it should increase in value.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The Security Six version is preferable with its adjustable sights - It was Ruger's answer to the venerable and adored S&W Model 19/66. Why Ruger won't make the GP100 in this configuration is a mystery. Security Six snubbies can go for over $400 on Internet auction sites. An excellent Speed Six snubby should go for around $3-ish if blued, and quite a bit more if stainless. The price is right at market, so while fair, it is no bargain. Stick to $300 and demand a box of ammo, a nylon holster, or something else to soften the deal, and if the seller agrees, BUY IT! Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5,805 Posts
These Ruger Six series revolvers (Security, Speed, and Service) are going up in price now and have no idea why. I remember when you could have picked one up for an easy 200 and that was a lot for one. I do like Rugers revolvers and feel they should have not given up on the Six line. It fits right inbetween the SP101 and the GP100. Just the other day as a matter of fact I picked up a Speed Six ....2 3/4" Heavey barrel, stainless steel, mid 80s production, D/A trigger is great, has some light usage marks, original box and paper work, locks up tight, Ruger pachmyere grips with Rugers emblem and they were asking $390 for it. They had another but an earlier model, nicer looking (no usuage marks), no heavy barrel but still 2 3/4" long, locks up tight, rubber grips (couldn't tell if it was factory), also in stainless steel, no original box or paper work and they were asking $365. I talked them down to $370 for the heavy barrled one with the original box and paper work and it found a new home lol.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
There is a consistent, high market for quality snub nosed revolvers. The speed six is larger than most snubbies; its also a .357. I owned one back in the 80's. Got rid of it after I got my S&W model 60; I could kick my own butt for letting it go. I'd pay $300 for a SS in good shape; if I found one, I might be tempted to go for more. They're not getting cheaper. How long are you willing to wait to get one for $25-$30 less??

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Pounce...........it is worth it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have a stainess Speed Six & it's one of the most accurate revolvers I own. Unveliveable groups at 50 yds with a 2.75" barrel. I'd buy it & (if it's a defensive gun,) send it to Ruger & replace whatever internal parts were messed with. If a backyard gunsmith smoothed the action, it may be unreliable. Been there.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey gang, thanks for the input. You all have pretty much echoed what I have heard about these guns over the years. I`ll go by and have the dealer put it back for me. I have a great working relationship with this shop. And Win, good advice on sending it to Ruger. I`ll probaly send it in and have them check it over good to make sure there are no surprises that I don`t know about. Or, we have a pretty good local gunsmith here. Thanks again gang. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is done. It is in my dealers safe with my name on it. :) I`ll take some pics when I get it home.:wink:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
They were the easy of all the revolvers to work on also back in the day. If you like .357's you have to like the old Six Series revolvers.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I`m a big .357 fan. Have been for years.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the dealer let me bring it home yesterday. I cleaned it up real good last night. Man, can`t wait to shoot it. I left my camera at the office. I`ll get some pictures over the weekend. It sure feels good in the hand.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah-I agree. Gonna try to take it out Sunday and the local gunsmith is going out with me. He said that the Ruger Six series had light trigger pulls in D/A compared to todays guns. I`m used to my Ruger SP101 (which I love) but it has a fairly stiff trigger in D/A.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK gang, finally got to the range on Turkey day and it was a beautiful day to be outside. I shot the Speed Six at last. One word----WOW. It handled like a dream. Both in DA/SA was really accurate. I ran through a box of 50 in no time. If I can find a good holster this might just become my everyday carry eventually. I want to put a few hundred more rounds through it before I do though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts