National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good defence gun for home and/or carry, and saw the sp101. I have been reading a bit online and it seems like a good choice but wanted to know your guys opinion. Thanks LCM

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Awesome revolver, one I'm looking at getting myself! Rugers are very reliable, and I think this one would be easy enough to carry. That one has the lasergrips if I'm not mistaken. And if you were so inclined, you could also load up with .38 specials for less of a kick! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a little on the heavy side for a carry gun but alot easier to shoot than the light weight 357s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The SP 101 is a well built revolver. I highly recommend it. If you are looking for a house gun take a close look at the Ruger GP100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. I will look into the Ruger GP100. This would be my first handgun :D, basically my dad wants me to get something I can carry with me when I walk my dogs and go out late at night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LuckyCricketMafia said:
Thanks guys for the replies. I will look into the Ruger GP100. This would be my first handgun :D, basically my dad wants me to get something I can carry with me when I walk my dogs and go out late at night.
I just bought a GP 100 4" barrel and it shoots like a dream. It's the first gun I 've bought. I shot the same gun in a 6" before I got mine. I really can't tell much difference between the 4" and 6" barrel. I bought it to keep around the house but it's to big to carry, unless you used a fanny pack or something like that. :---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's what i carry almost every day. conceals easy, shoots straight, and built like a tank. go for it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big Dutchman said:
it's what i carry almost every day. conceals easy, shoots straight, and built like a tank. go for it
What method are using to carry it? 4" or 6"? I weigh about 185 lbs and I could not really find a comfortable position. I would love to carry it everyday if I could find a way for it not to jam into my stomach when I sit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i carry the sp101 2.25" in the small of my back with a iwb holster. alot of people are agaist carrying back there, but it works great for me. i forget about it being there all the time. i think it's a great carry piece.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your dad seems to be a sensible man ;) Any Ruger revolver would be a great choice, but I would buy one with an external hammer. But that's just me, I think they look a lot better and you might want the capability to shoot it SA at the range sometimes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is my favorite, I am partial to Ruger Revolvers.

Security Six .357 Magnum w/ Pachmyr grips :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
My wife has the 4" barrel and carries it in her purse. It was custom made by a a leather shop with a pouch inside to hold the gun properly.
Yes it's heavy, but she did not like the little SW .38 air weight I bought for her so that went to our daughter for her carry.
Nothing like recycling in the family! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a GP100 with a 3" barrel before I deployed and now wish I had kept it. But when I got back buddy of mine sold me his SP101, out of the two I would definitely go with SP101 to carry because even with the shorter barrel of the GP100 it was still a pain to carry. It did make an awesome house gun though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts