Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:--- THE BEST REVOLVERS EVER MADE -I

Don't take my word for it, ask Baldy!!!!! :lol: :i: :D

God Bless Us All!!!!!!
Rev.Charlie

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,669 Posts
I own several of each. They are fine revolvers, especially after a trigger job has been performed on them.

The BEST revolvers ever made? I dunno.

Other modern DA revolvers in the running:
Dan Wesson, M15
S&W, M19-2/M66

Let's expand this a bit.

Best antique revolver:
Colt, Model 1851

Best modern SA revolver:
Freedom Arms, Pick one. They are all superior.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
On a value for dollar basis, they are clearly the finest double action revolver ever made. They were the absolute strongest mid sized revolver, and the action design was such that a minor bit of polishing made them rather smooth in both double and single action.

Does anyone know why Ruger discontinued them? The GP 100 was the replacement, I know, but I've never understood the why of it.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
They came out with the Six Series to compete with S&W & Colt for LEO contracts in 1972. They sold for about $190. Bill Ruger said it was the only gun he had ever made where he never showed a good profit. They were discontinued in 1988. That was about the time when a lot of Police outfits were looking at the cheaper plastic autos. Ruger said high cost to manufacture and not enough public interest caused them to be dropped. That's all I know. :-B-:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carried one for several years as a LEO. An excellent gun; smooth, never a problem but after a day at the range, you knew you'd been firing it. (357 mags).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My newbee $.02......have been through a plethora of revolvers including Sec. Six and Speed Six as my primary duty guns and own an SP101 today which I like very much. Still, my vote is for a S&W M66 I regret selling to this day. My wife (not a gun person) regrets it as well. It gets my vote as the best .357 of all time instead :-B-: .

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Y'know, it's a "Fords & Chevys" story, everyone likes what s/he likes. I own Rugers and like them, but for a midsize double action .38/.357, the S&W 19 & 66 can't be beat. I prefer the single and double action feel by a mile and don't have to do extensive trigger work to attain it. Some say the Ruger is tougher, but I haven't been able to wear my old 19 out after many, many years of magnum fodder. Take down is easier and, to my eyes anyway, they're just better looking. I give Ruger their due, and like I said, I own and use several. But for my money, the old Mod 19 and 66 are where it's at for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts