National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the different revolvers that Ruger has and i was wondering which one had exceptional quality and durability. I dont mind if it is Single action, Double action, or both. I would prefer something .357 mag but a .44 mag would be fine. I would also prefer something with a larger frame or maybe a medium. I havent looked too much at the Smith & Wesson revolvers, but i hear that they are really good also. I am on a budget so nothing too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts
Um, all of 'em. You can't go wrong with a Ruger.

If you like, though, a single action blackhawk or super blackhawk is pretty spiffy.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree with Wag - can't go wrong with Rugers - Minnesota says welcome to the form - hope you enjoy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. Well thanks a ton for the suggestions and the welcome. I will definitely be looking into the new model Blackhawks. Thanks again!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
New Model Blackhawk in 357.

Super Blackhawk 44 mag

Blackhawk Bisley in 357

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
All of these were bought used at very good prices. All of them are tough as nails. All have had trigger work done (not necessary, but nice)

Its tough to go wrong.

I also have the GP100 and Redhawk revolvers. They are great too if you prefer a double action.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I just traded for a 6½" Bisley in .41 Mag. That makes, ummm...lemme see...a whole BUNCH of Rugers. I've owned one or another Ruger for >40 yrs. I've yet to meet the man rich enough to wear one out.

I agree, BW that trigger jobs are not req'd but nice. Most of their handguns have triggers designed by lawyers, BUT, that's easily remedied with Hard Arkansas and/or Wolff springs.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I agree with changing the springs but I am not one to take one of the legs of the hammer spring off under the grip and run it like that. It might improve the pull but just does not seem right to me.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Actually I was referring to stoning the sear. Not a job for one who is not trained to do so. I have seen triggers and hammers ruined in the process by those who don't know what they're doing.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I agree 100%. I have the smith at my LGS do my gunsmithing and I repair their lights, E-lights and stuff like that. Trading labor is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a stainless Redhawk in .44mag., a stainless single six convertible, .22LR/.22mag., and a KLCR in .357 mag. The oldest one is at least 30 yrs. old. They all look and shoot like new. I'll take a Ruger over a S&W anyday, especially for the price.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the Vaquaro in 45 LC and a 22cal ss Single Six.
Great craftmanship.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I Have a Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem Mag and a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. Love 'em both! Also a P95 in .40 S&W. The more Rugers I get the better I like them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Love my rugers

Love all my Rugers.
SS 4.62 blackhawk 357mag
Blue 6.5" blk hwk 357
SS super blk hawk 7.5" 44mag
SS super red hawk 44 mag 7.5" with scope
SS 6.5" single six 22lr/22 mag
P345 45 auto
SR9 9mm semi
10-22
P89 SS decocker 9mm sold it regret it
mini 14 SS sold it reget it
security 6 357 mag sold it regret it
looking for a used bear cat now.but there running hi around here and people arent selling em

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have both S&W and Ruger. I think they're both great and you can't go wrong with either. My opinion and experience is limited to basic guns bought from the factory for every day street use and reliability, generaly for LE and other basic carry purposes. If you want to talk about modifications, repairs and customizing, then Gunrnr and Popeye are the guys who know them inside and out, and top to bottom. I have to agree that triggers have a lot to be desired from the factory because of liability and I also find myself considering modifications to get them to where they should be for everyday business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rugers are hard to beat. I have quite a few of them.

Blackhawk 3 Screw 30 Carbine
Blackhawk 3 Screw 357
Blackhawk NM 357
Blackhawk NM 1976 Liberty 357
Blackhawk 50th Anniversary 357
Blackhawk 3 Screw 41 Mag
Blackhawk NM 41 Mag
Blackhawk 3 Screw 45 Colt
Blackhawk NM 45 Colt
Vaquero John Wayne 44-40
Super Blackhawk 3 Screw 44 Mag
Super Blackhawk NM 44 Mag 1976 Liberty
Super Blackhawk 50th Anniversary 44 Mag
Single Six 50th Anniversary
Mark II 22
Mark II 50th Anniversary 22
Mark II NRA 22

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own a GP 100 357 and I am delighted with the way it shoots. The previous owner must have had the trigger polished cause it breaks nice and clean, with no creep. It handles stout loads very well. Mine came with the Hogue finger grip and it fits my hand best.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Rugers are hard to beat. I have quite a few of them.

Blackhawk 3 Screw 30 Carbine
Blackhawk 3 Screw 357
Blackhawk NM 357
Blackhawk NM 1976 Liberty 357
Blackhawk 50th Anniversary 357
Blackhawk 3 Screw 41 Mag
Blackhawk NM 41 Mag
Blackhawk 3 Screw 45 Colt
Blackhawk NM 45 Colt
Vaquero John Wayne 44-40
Super Blackhawk 3 Screw 44 Mag
Super Blackhawk NM 44 Mag 1976 Liberty
Super Blackhawk 50th Anniversary 44 Mag
Single Six 50th Anniversary
Mark II 22
Mark II 50th Anniversary 22
Mark II NRA 22
If you're ever interested in a Blackhawk Bisley in .41 Mag, PM me.

·
Banned
192 Posts
I once "stoned" the spring on my flintlock with a bench grinder. Before the surgery it was impossible to hit anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts