National Gun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to shooting this is my 1st gun actually.

It is the pc9 brand new

I put it together and simulated using it pulled the bolt all the way back it stuck open then put in a empty mag inside and then when I attempt to release the bolt it will not move it gets stuck on the top of mag ? Does it have to be loaded in order for the bolt to close ? When I take out the mag the action open and closed freely as I assume should be same when I put the mag in ? Any help I would greatly appreciate I was going to take it to the range tomorrow but not sure now . I did the whole clockwise nut loosen and then tighten till I could no longer tighten aswell.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also there is a attached picture about a gap i have between the 2 parts is this safe is it how it supposed to be ? I can not get it any tighter from the top screw . I do appreciate any help I am new to guns as I said I know many may be annoyed by these amateur questions . They sure didnt like questions at the gun shop .

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,292 Posts
That last pic the parts should butt together. Your slide issue i have no clue. Never ran into that one with any of my guns. Curious why was the gun apart ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That last pic the parts should butt together. Your slide issue i have no clue. Never ran into that one with any of my guns. Curious why was the gun apart ?
Not sure about that , the gun was in two pieces already when I opened the box the store model was put together and I thought the two ends should fit flush together but I have this gap that wont close i dont want to try to shoot it and it come apart or mess up . I tried to press the mag down threw the ooen reciever and the bolt does close otherwise it stays stuck open so maybe it needs to be loaded in order to close ?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have never seen or handled a Ruger PC Carbine and know very little about it. With my disclaimer out of the way let me say:

The first step in any new gun purchase is to thoroughly clean and lube the entire gun. Familiarize yourself with the operation of the firearm by going through the manual. Did you try hitting the bolt release? I looked at the manual and don't see what nut you are referring too.

Your assembly issue looks like a basic fit and finish issue. The metal parts should join together snug and firm. The plastic pieces are mostly cosmetic but should fit together better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Ruger PC Carbine is supposed to be able to be easily broken down into 2 pieces for easy storage and transportation. I think they ship like that to cut down on packaging costs. But in any case, the should be pretty well flush when put together. If it's properly assembled, you shouldn't even really be able to tell that it's 2 peices.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic attached * This is the nut in the manual it says for 1st time usage assembly turn all the way counter clockwise then attach the two pieces together and then tighten as far as possible I've done it as far as possible but dont do much in terms of the gap or the slide closing . When I push the spring or ramp of the mag from inside the open slide then The slide closes . And when I take out the mag the slide freely opens and closes .

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ruger PC Carbine is supposed to be able to be easily broken down into 2 pieces for easy storage and transportation. I think they ship like that to cut down on packaging costs. But in any case, the should be pretty well flush when put together. If it's properly assembled, you shouldn't even really be able to tell that it's 2 peices.

When I take out the mag it does freely move as it should

·
Aim true !
10,292 Posts
I think it's the mag activating the last round hold open feature. Put some ammo in the mag. And then attempt to close the bolt.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
You appear to be really brand new to guns. Please get proper safety instruction. You can start here: [url]https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/
[/URL]
Also re-read the manual again and completely familiarize yourself with the proper operation of your new firearm.

page 12:
NOTE: The RUGER® PC CARBINE™ also has an automatic last round hold open. Once the last round of a magazine is extracted and ejected, the follower of the magazine engages the last round hold open. The last round hold open will hold the bolt in an open position after the last round is fired.

Reactions: Square target

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I think it's the mag activating the last round hold open feature. Put some ammo in the mag. And then attempt to close the bolt.
Being new to guns I would strongly advise against you loading the firearm outside of a gun range. Again please ensure you get some safety training.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So yes I have checked it is because of not being loaded . That question I believe is resolved as when I push in the mag where the round would sit in mag from open slide position it will close so it is because of the last round activation . But I will ask the guys at the range tomorrow to make sure. The only question remaining is should this gap between the front end and back end of gun be flush or is this how it should be with a slight gap seeing as it's a take down ?

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
^^^^^^^^ Exactly! The firearm has a bolt hold open when the mag is empty, and it is designed to be easily taken down into two pieces...the polymer does not match up perfectly when assembled on the ones I have seen. You really need to familiarize with the weapon before you load it as Fred said.

·
Aim true !
10,292 Posts
Please let us know how the range session went.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think maybe it is just normal to have that gap like this pic I found online . Shows about same gap that I have on my PC9.
That is what it should look like. It seemed like the gap you showed us was bigger, but that could just be because it was a close up image.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts