National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I just acquired a Ruger Mark I, .22 cal. automatic (ca. 1981/82 manufacture), field stripped it down for a GOOD cleaning (it needed it!), and discovered what a pain in the ass the reassembly is. Does anyone have an easy methodology they have discovered and are willing to share? It shoots great now that the gunk is cleared out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Well, you did the right thing by stripping it down and thoroughly cleaning it. That said, I do a quick brush and swab after each session...OK, after every 3rd or 4th session...and only detail strip it when it starts to hang up. The Ruger MarkXX series is a notorious PIA to disassemble and really doesn't need to be. The Ruger 10/22 is pretty much in the same boat.

I know some anal-retentive shooters will disagree with me and that's fine -- they can put up with the hassle. I have seen no ill effects from doing it this way and, as I've mentioned, I've owned Ruger 22s for decades. I wouldn't recommend such a regimen for any center-fire rifle or handgun, but it's always worked for my Rugers.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Damn you, Bill -- you take all the fun out of it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill - Thanks for the lead on Potfire.com. He has the content that Ruger left out for a good experience with the Mark I. This piece is back on my "A" list for enjoyable shooting. After digesting what he had to say, and a little practice, I had reassembly down to less than 60 seconds. Not the quickest I have (my Bersa UC 9mm has that title) but a damn sight better than it was before. Thanks again. :D :-B-:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts