National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have had a Ruger Mark 3 for quite a few years now. I haven't shot it in a while, but now when I load it and pull back the bolt it automatically fires. It no longer will even go on safe. Any ideas what could be cooking?
Thank you,
Tony

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Yea did you give it a good cleaning/degreasing and lube when you first got it?

·
Live Free
4,361 Posts
You have owned it for years but had not shot it for a while. I wonder if the firing pin is fouled by congealed lube, carbon, etc. They are simple guns, so it is a little difficult to imagine this sort of issue except that something is gummed up or fouled having sat for a ‘while.’ Thinking a little further about your post, you say you cannot engage the safety? If this is true something might be fouled or broken in the trigger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have owned it for years but had not shot it for a while. I wonder if the firing pin is fouled by congealed lube, carbon, etc. They are simple guns, so it is a little difficult to imagine this sort of issue except that something is gummed up or fouled having sat for a ‘while.’ Thinking a little further about your post, you say you cannot engage the safety? If this is true something might be fouled or broken in the trigger.
Yeah, something has to be broke. Just was wondering if anyone else ever had the problem. I never did before.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
You have owned it for years but had not shot it for a while. I wonder if the firing pin is fouled by congealed lube, carbon, etc.
This would be my first guess as well. Make sure the gun is empty and pull the bolt back and see if the firing pin is protruding.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
If you describe the problem because it's a safety hazard they are going to want and see it even if it's just dirty and needs to be cleaned which you refuse to believe is a possibility. Good luck you're going to need it.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Premium Member
9,558 Posts
I keep it the way it is. Load a full magazine and slam it home for a true full auto experience!
just kidding. Sounds like like the firing pin is stuck in the forward position. I’ll bet you stored it with the pin in the fire position, like you dry fired it and didn’t cock it again. Don’t dry fire a .22.
It also seems it was stored dry of oils, in a not so ideal location. Never the less, Let Ruger correct it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep it the way it is. Load a full magazine and slam it home for a true full auto experience!
just kidding. Sounds like like the firing pin is stuck in the forward position. I’ll bet you stored it with the pin in the fire position, like you dry fired it and didn’t cock it again. Don’t dry fire a .22.
It also seems it was stored dry of oils, in a not so ideal location. Never the less, Let Ruger correct it.
I agree!!! However, it has a myriad of issues, and it is on its way back to Ruger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts