National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going back and forth between these two guns when deciding what I want to carry concealed. Can anybody that knows these two guns help me decide? Thanks so much.....

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
two pockets.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
:lol:two pockets.:lol:
TX is on a roll here. Have you ever shot the two? I have shot both and the Kahr-9 is by far a better pistol over all. If it's just a back up then I would go with the Kel-Tec 3AT and save a few bucks. You can buy more ammo to practice with. JMHO. :biggrin5:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well the Kahr PM-9 is a um, 9mm. while the LCP is a .380.
The Kahr is more expensive (by twice) and larger, and heavier.
If you shoot a lot, 9mm ammo is cheaper than .380. so the LCP cost saving will be offset by more expensive ammo.
The Kahr is higher quality.
The LCP is a good pocket gun, I don't think the Kahr is much for a pocket but that's me.
Right now I have the Kahr, no regrets, but if a new LCP came along I might have both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just sold my LCP and bought a Kahr PM9.
The Kahr didn't cost but $500, got $315 for my used LCP. The Kahr is only slightly larger and a couple of ozs heavier. Helluva lot more accurate, more firepower- worth the extra money. Check the ballistics on the Federal HydraShok 9mm 124+P against the baddest .380 load. Also the Kahr is a higher quality handgun.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,357 Posts
Well the Kahr PM-9 is a um, 9mm. while the LCP is a .380.
The Kahr is more expensive (by twice) and larger, and heavier.
If you shoot a lot, 9mm ammo is cheaper than .380. so the LCP cost saving will be offset by more expensive ammo.
The Kahr is higher quality.
The LCP is a good pocket gun, I don't think the Kahr is much for a pocket but that's me.
Right now I have the Kahr, no regrets, but if a new LCP came along I might have both.
In a nutshell!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
$315?! That shows the demand for those little buggers. You done good, Whomp. Kahr's a good pistol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LCP is selling for as low as $269 in my area, which is really a factor when trying to decide. I just hate stepping down two calibers to carry, so I might blow the extra money on the Kahr. I appreciate everyone's input.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
$269.00??? That's very good, but do they actually have them in stock? I've heard reports of sporting goods stores (mostly chains) advertising them but not actually having them to sell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One place had a wait list of 300 people. The other place had no one on the list so I signed up to be the first to get one but I think I'm going to buy a Kahr PM9 instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not the LCP

Last weekend I was at the range and a friend showed up with an Lcp. I am a Ruger fan, EXCEPT for the LCP. It had the worst trigger I have ever squeezed and the sights are a joke. I'd hate to know my life depended on it. I'm sure lots of people like them because they've sold jillions, I just don't want one.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I think the point of the "LCP", as it is with the parent "P3AT" is to make available a CCW with extreme concealability and light weight. It accomplishes both like few other .380s of any substantial quality. Before the Kel-Tec type pistol, the shooter was stuck either paying close to five bills for a Colt Mustang or diving down in quality and reliability for a Davis, Lorcin, Sterling or one of the other zinc pistols.

The Kel-Tec platform is not something one purchases to use in competion or to hunt game -- one purchases such a pistol because it's effective at typical (statistical) urban combat distances (where I train without using sights) and it goes bang every time the really bad-feeling trigger is squeezed. It weighs 11.3 oz loaded and skinnier guys than I am can conceal it even wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

Like many things in life its a bit of a compromise. I give up a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP for a much less powerful .380; set aside a highly-accurate, smooth-handling top-notch pistol that's accurate at longer distances, and in return I get a pistol that I carry everywhere.

Lots of guys say they carry everywhere they go and no doubt, most who say so, do so. But I have to admit that when it's over 95 degrees, I don't want to wear anything more than I have to. So, I sometimes I'd decide not to carry. There are times I just don't want to wear an overshirt or a windbreaker and cannot conceal any larger pistol without doing so. So there might be a firearm in the car, but not on my person. By having the P3-AT or LCP, I'm maximizing my safety by carrying a greater percentage of the time.

·
Politically Incorrect
183 Posts
I've got an LCP, it does fairly well for such a little gun. I keep it loaded with Corbon DPX 80gr HP's and it fits easily in a pocket holster for daily carry. So as soon as my durn CWL gets here that I have been waiting patiently for, I will be able to carry it. Right now it rides in the glove box.

Crimson Trace just came out with a "instant on" laser sight for it, I ordered one. The thing I like least about the LCP is the teeny-tiny sights. You might as well point shoot, cause in a panic situation, you will NEVER focus on those little things. I figure the laser pointer might work out better.

I will probably designate this gun as a Back Up Gun, although I can see myself ALWAYS carrying this little thing, and even if I go with a larger IWB Kahr or Glock subcompact. It seems that the IWB may be impractical sometimes, forcing me to leave it behind, while the pocket carry is never really a problem.

It may seem like the Kahr isn't much bigger, but toss it in your front pocket, and its a LOT bigger that the skinny LCP or P3AT. I'll happily walk around with my .380 all day at the beach with my shirt off, vs having to disarm or risk printing the larger gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts