National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my short review of the Ruger Gunsite scout, I you have any questions feel free to ask to help others searching for info about the Gunsite scout.

Live and bought mine in Virginia. Everyone keeps asking me if i got it at a gun show and its rare but i just got lucky when i walked in the shop. I paid 863 for the rifle out of the store, I don't know if there was any cheaper place that had them so I bought it that day I saw it available.

I bought a Leupold 1.5-4x20mm scope intended for ar15 rifles but i did want a IER scope so I got this low powered scope. rifle is accurate with iron sights or the scope. Also added a Bipod.

Fired 200+ rounds through my rifle already with both .308 win and 7.62x51mm.
.308 have a noticeable muzzle flash. I fired CBC magtech 7.62, winchester 7.62(had 1 dud) and PMC .308, I also have federal .308 but havent tried it on the rifle. If I were to stock pile ammo for this gun it would be PMC .308 win.

I am not using this rifle for hunting cause I do not hunt.....yet. I zeroed my rifle and scope in at 25yds and will try to go to a 100-300 yds range when I get a good weekend off.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
That is sharp.
What is the fully loaded weight?

·
Guy with a Gun
646 Posts
What kind of mount does that scope use? Is it a specific one, or can it be attached to just about any mount?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,163 Posts
What kind of mount does that scope use? Is it a specific one, or can it be attached to just about any mount?
It looks like he used Ruger's intregal bases and rings. Either 1" or 30mm rings. These mount quickly and easily. They also hold well if initially installed properly.

·
Guy with a Gun
646 Posts
Cool, I might get one for my .243 if I can find one. Definitely a nice scope from what I've read.

EDIT: Wow! Those are expensive, maybe I'll hold off until I have a higher end rifle for that.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,163 Posts
If that is a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm scope, I have one on my Sako .375 H&H Mag. It deals nicely with the recoil. I've never installed a battery.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ruger didn't want me as a customer enough to respond to my emails about the availability of this in stainless, after patiently waiting 6 months, so I won't be getting one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sharp.
What is the fully loaded weight?
I'll get back on you for the weight I don't have a scale at home. and I use 5 round steel magazines cause they make the rifle easier to move around.

Yes they are the 1" scope rings that come with the Gunsite Scout and they mount right on the rifle's base mounts.

Cool, I might get one for my .243 if I can find one. Definitely a nice scope from what I've read.

EDIT: Wow! Those are expensive, maybe I'll hold off until I have a higher end rifle for that.
I'm not bragging about the price but just in case you wanted or anyone else wanted to know. I paid $429 for the scope, I was looking for a scope under $400 but this one fits the way i'll use my rifle and can't resist the reticles and lightness of the scope.

If that is a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm scope, I have one on my Sako .375 H&H Mag. It deals nicely with the recoil. I've never installed a battery.
Nope This is a Leupold MK AR Mod1 1.5-4x20mm. Its normally for .223/5.56 AR-15s.

Ruger didn't want me as a customer enough to respond to my emails about the availability of this in stainless, after patiently waiting 6 months, so I won't be getting one
I guess I got lucky. It was either this or the tactical version. Off topic but Ruger related I was looking all over virginia for a ruger new vaquero .357 and after 2 weeks driving around I found a store that had them in in the caliber, finish and barrel length I wanted.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
That is a very sharp looking outfit for sure. I have been interested in these rifles since I first read about them. Now even more so. I do like the scope and bipod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a very sharp looking outfit for sure. I have been interested in these rifles since I first read about them. Now even more so. I do like the scope and bipod.
thanks. try going for the slightly longer barrel. i think they have a model with an 18" barrel instead the 16" that I have.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The one with the longer barrel is, allegedly, the stainless one, that so far exists only in gun writer's articles and on the Ruger website, but not in real life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts