National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting Federal 168 grain hpbt, all bullets landed within a group about the size of a watch dial. I am not much of a shot, so I figure a marksman would do better. Granted that this is good ammo, I think the take away is that the short 16" barrel is pretty accurate. I had been concerned about that, so I share this with you, in case you were wondering. I took off the rear ghost sight, and picatinny rail in order to install the scope, using the rings that came with the rifle. I will use Ruger's 5 round clip for hunting, as I think the 10 round magazine is excessive, except for zombies. Bottom line: I like this rifle a lot. Hopefully an image is attached.

Attachments

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two of my friends have the same rifle and they both love it. Supposedly it's Ruger's best selling bolt gun and with all the positive feedback I've heard it's easy to see why.
It is indeed a near faultless rifle. My one complaint is that the rear ghost sight was nigh on useless, as it would not adjust high enough when shooting with just iron sights. But that became a moot point when I added the powerful scope, thus turning the "scout" rifle into a simple carbine. But what a sweet carbine it is!

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a neat rifle. Almost bought one myself.
I had felt that way myself, for more than a year, but then relented, after selling a few guns. Ruger makes very nice rifles, and I think I like this one the best, of the Rugers I've owned. That would include an old #1, in .243. When a man "almost buys a rifle", its an act of marvelous restraint, proving his character. You're to be commended, I'd say. And I like the looks of your dog. I have one in black. The world would be a better place with more Labradors.

· crockett007
293 Posts
How far ? was it 100 yds.? A watch dial.....let's say 1 inch give or take?...I'd better sell my Rem 700 SPS TAC and buy a Ruger Scout.:sosp:

SO......you're saying the scout can do this @ 100 yds.? 5 shot string .....168 SMK with FGMM brass 42.8 gr. 4064...sub MOA.....out lying round is from the cold bore.

No disrespect intended, but, I really am not drinkin' this Scout Rifle kool aid...sorry

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How far ? was it 100 yds.? A watch dial.....let's say 1 inch give or take?...I'd better sell my Rem 700 SPS TAC and buy a Ruger Scout.:sosp:

SO......you're saying the scout can do this @ 100 yds.? 5 shot string .....168 SMK with FGMM brass 42.8 gr. 4064...sub MOA.....out lying round is from the cold bore.

No disrespect intended, but, I really am not drinkin' this Scout Rifle kool aid...sorry
s
You're a good man indeed, Mr. Crockett, for having put up a photograph of the very same kind of target that I put up myself. My shots were at the center diamond, and all landed in the corner of the upper angle, thus being 2" high of the red (really just a bit less), and making a rather ragged yellow blotch. As I said, consider the ammo. It was Federal Match grade. But being a fisherman, I will admit that fish can grow after caught, and some of mine certainly have. So call it a "pocket watch", and let the story be true, without the Kool Aid punch you would add. And certainly there's no need to apologize on your part, for its easy to see, it gives you no comfort to hear an old man tell the truth.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said say the both of ya have fine shooting factory rifles....nothing more nothing less.
Nicely put. You summarize the point of my original report, which, given the length of the barrel, is to me, worth knowing to those who might buy the gun. My fault lies in not submitting a urine analysis along with my relating of facts. Had I been interested in entertaining by fiction, I might have begun by describing the two cows that wander the universe, one very fat, and one very lean. The fat cow feeds on photographs of bullet holes, and the lean cow feeds only on "shots when they count". My ambition should have been stated up front: one very dead deer, to be dropped where it stands, not knowing it has died. That said, this package will deliver, if I do my part. After that, my true fiction, with license, will begin. The distance to the target, the leaping speed of the buck, the size of the rack, will all with poetic magic start to grow. But what virtue has a site like this, if shooting reports are not on the mark? In my report, I said, "watch dial" describing the spread. That is acceptable, for a factory gun. For a 16" barrel? Well, I think that's worth a report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.