National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I had an issue with my Ruger American Magpul Hunter 308 Rifle. While chambering a shell with magazine out, when I closed the bolt the rifle fired. My right hand palm was flat against the bolt and no where near the trigger. Needless to say it scared the holy crap out of me. I contacted Ruger via their website just to see if there was any other reported issues with this rifle. I looked but could not find any recalls on the rifle.

Less than 24 hrs later, a Ruger rep called me and pretty much insisted I send the rifle to Ruger for inspection. Ruger scheduled a UPS pick up the next day with 2 day shipping. Ruger received the rifle this past Tuesday. Wednesday they emailed me saying rifle had been repaired and was ready to be returned to me. I asked if they found an issue and was told they had to replace a defective firing pin. On Thursday the rifle was overnights to my FFL for pick up today. They definitely spent some $$$ to get the rifle to them and back to me is less than a week.

OK - I am very happy with their repair service and fast shipping, but I am thinking that this extraordinary customer service is due to an issue they want me to not to ask any more questions about or research any further. Or am I over thinking this and being paranoid?

What are other members thoughts?

· Registered
17,528 Posts
Ruger has always had a great rep for warranty work and standing behind it. I have heard of them fixing 20+ year old guns that have gone through several owners for no charge. it's also much cheaper to pay the 2 day shipping, fixing it and getting it back to you than to pay for a lawsuit involving a injury or death from a malfunctioning gun. It's too bad more companies didn't think this way. There could be a possible known problem with that model or it could be just a fluke as well.

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and Popeye

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Recently I had an issue with my Ruger American Magpul Hunter 308 Rifle. While chambering a shell with magazine out, when I closed the bolt the rifle fired. My right hand palm was flat against the bolt and no where near the trigger. Needless to say it scared the holy crap out of me. I contacted Ruger via their website just to see if there was any other reported issues with this rifle. I looked but could not find any recalls on the rifle.

Less than 24 hrs later, a Ruger rep called me and pretty much insisted I send the rifle to Ruger for inspection. Ruger scheduled a UPS pick up the next day with 2 day shipping. Ruger received the rifle this past Tuesday. Wednesday they emailed me saying rifle had been repaired and was ready to be returned to me. I asked if they found an issue and was told they had to replace a defective firing pin. On Thursday the rifle was overnights to my FFL for pick up today. They definitely spent some $$$ to get the rifle to them and back to me is less than a week.

OK - I am very happy with their repair service and fast shipping, but I am thinking that this extraordinary customer service is due to an issue they want me to not to ask any more questions about or research any further. Or am I over thinking this and being paranoid?

What are other members thoughts?
Sounds like another example of excellent customer service from Ruger. They showed genuine concern over your incident, as well as liability concerns and wasted no time correcting the problem. If you are overly concerned that they are hiding something, you are quite able to research to your hearts content. Over thinking and being paranoid? Personally, I would thank them for their prompt and effective solution (assuming you have tested, without a live round, to insure the problem is gone) and be thankful you purchased from a reputable manufacturer. If you hear of the problem with someone else or it resurfaces for you, then you have solid grounds to question. BTW, when I reported a problem with a Ruger pistol to them, they expedited that repair rather quickly, and it was not safety related...it is what Ruger does.

· Premium Member
9,928 Posts
Ruger jumped to help you with whatever problem you had. It’s fixed and has had a thorough inspection. Smile and enjoy your rifle.
What you did learn is to, #1 Always keep a muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
#2 Treat every gun as if it was loaded.
#3 safeties and guns in general are mechanical devices and can fail or malfunction. Never trust a safety, action or any other device except your brain.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,022 Posts
Why did Ruger ship it to your FFL??? They should have shipped it directly to you.

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,182 Posts
but I am thinking that this extraordinary customer service is due to an issue they want me to not to ask any more questions about or research any further. Or am I over thinking this and being paranoid?
Yep, you're over thinking it. You had an issue that was repaired by the manufacturer in an extremely timely manner. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be delighted with their service.
Not everything is a conspiracy.

Why did Ruger ship it to your FFL??? They should have shipped it directly to you.
Yes sir, When CZ replaced my 75 B they shipped it directly to me and they replaced the whole firearm AND thats with me living in the communist state of NJ.
One way I could see it going back to the FFL is if they were the ones that initialed the repair and mailed the firearm. In my case I dealt with CZ directly.

· Registered
17,528 Posts
Yep, you're over thinking it. You had an issue that was repaired by the manufacturer in an extremely timely manner. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be delighted with their service.
Not everything is a conspiracy.

Yes sir, When CZ replaced my 75 B they shipped it directly to me and they replaced the whole firearm AND thats with me living in the communist state of NJ.
One way I could see it going back to the FFL is if they were the ones that initialed the repair and mailed the firearm. In my case I dealt with CZ directly.

That's interesting. Even though they were replacing the gun identically, technically it's still a different gun/serial number. I figured you would need a FFL to do that.

Reactions: fixitfred

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,182 Posts
I questioned it too. I was very concerned about it because we need pistol purchasing permits here and I wanted to know who was covering the cost of me applying for a new permit. (not to mention at this point I had already waited 20 weeks for a resolution so I wasn't happy by this time)

CZ told me as long as it was a "same for same" exchange it could be sent directly to me. I also reached out and verified this with my FFL who agreed it was fine.
If I chose to accept say a CZ SP01 or P-10 as a replacement instead of the 75 B it would have to go to the FFL and I would need a permit.

· Registered
2,634 Posts
Just so everyone knows, Ruger will only ship a returned firearm to an FFL. I went round and round with them when they returned my SP101 last year. They say that most of the NE states require this so they do it for all.

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Just so everyone knows, Ruger will only ship a returned firearm to an FFL. I went round and round with them when they returned my SP101 last year. They say that most of the NE states require this so they do it for all.
They must have recently adopted this policy, because less than a year ago they sent my SR-22 directly back to me after making repairs.

· Registered
4,408 Posts
I'm a Ruger guy I tried to remain silent but can't because regulars on here have heard it before. I have never had any problems with any of my many Rugers. I have heard numerous stories of their great customer service. This is just another one I add to the list. Not in this case but it seems sometimes they waste money on problems that aren't problems and have people send their guns back on Rugers dime. I thought FedEx did that too and did things that wasn't cost effective when I worked there maybe that's why I never started or ran companies like Ruger or FedEx. If you need to pay FFL transfer fee's, or do you, that might be an indirect way to slow down people sending in their gun because it jams or looks funny or isn't shooting straight. I am curious if this indeed is a new policy and might call or write to them.

Reactions: AgedWarrior
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.