National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my daughter a ruger american 22lr for 4h shooting sports. The fiber optic front sight is real nice but it completely covers the target at the distance they shoot. Does anyone know of a thinner front sightthat will fit this rifle

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I am not familiar with the Ruger American but I am familiar with the Ruger 10/22. The 10/22 has an adjustable rear sight for elevation. Check the rear sight on the American if it is adjustable for elevation then the front sight is not too big but the elevation is adjusted wrong.

The sight picture you want is to have the front bead centered in the valley of the rear sight and the point of impact sitting just on top of the front bead. When shooting your daughter should focus on the front sight. This is how I have my 10/22 set up. The Ruger American may be different.

I'm just trying to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the same flip up sight as the 10/22 but it was shooting low and we had to max it out to the top to get it on target. I'm gonna have to play around with it more. It shoots great groups I just wish it little bit better sight.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
How about adding a Red Dot on the rifle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It comes drilled and tapped. I would love to put a nice scope on it but I bought it for her to use in 4h. They have so many rules it really limits what you can do. There was only a few rifles that fit the bill. No peeps. No hooded front sight.no optics or red dots. No semi autos. Has to be capable of being loaded one round at a time. I was going to get a cz scout but I knew I wouldnt be able to take a dremmel tool to a brand new $400 rifle and cut the hood off the front sight. The ruger american is a real nice rifle. It has a great trigger. Its comfortable to shoot. Just wish I could find a really thin blade front sight to make it a little easier to shoot. I will keep looking. I found a place that makes a set of peeps for it s9 I must not be the only one not happy with the stock sights

1 - 5 of 5 Posts