National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is starting to look like a winner. In the Ruger SP 101 3+" barrel it looks great and has a much lighter recoil that the 357mag. Holds six shots and is not that far off the 357 mag statistics.

Do you think this caliber will fly? Will you buy one?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I found an interesting articleon the Ruger here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm

For a defensive handgun, I always lean towards penetration. I am asked everyday to recommend a defensive cartridge to those who are needing a handgun for protection. If a person can easily handle a small .357 magnum revolver, that is a good choice. However, the question of recoil often enters into the choice of cartridge. While in a service sized revolver the .357 is easily controlled, in a smaller package it can be a handful. Many times, I recommend a .22 Magnum for those who, for whatever reason, cannot handle or desire a hard-kicking gun. The .22 Magnum penetrates well, and getting the bullet to the vitals as deeply as possible damages more nerves, organs, and blood vessels. A bullet that does not penetrate does not tear up as much flesh. The new .327 Federal Magnum promises penetration, with less recoil than the .357 Magnum. That, along with good bullet design, should make for a dandy little defensive gun.
The guy ran it through its paces, to include testing penetration on a 23#pork shoulder.

He seems to feel that it fills a need in the self-defense market.

·
Registered
811 Posts
sig232 said:
This is starting to look like a winner. In the Ruger SP 101 3+" barrel it looks great and has a much lighter recoil that the 357mag. Holds six shots and is not that far off the 357 mag statistics.

Do you think this caliber will fly? Will you buy one?
I'm sure it is probably great, but do we really need a new caliber?
I'm kind of slow to come around to the newer,bigger,faster,better,more functional, anything else you can think of to add in here things.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
One of our members reported on the .327 Mag. Sounded as though he liked it. The reason for new calibers is the same as the reason for new engines in automobiles. Variety, marketing, bragging rights. One size does not fit all in either.

Lots of folks love the .44 Magnum for a high-powered handgun. I don't, but I love the .41 Magnum for several reasons. Then again, there are folks for whom the .44 Mag is just not a big enough boom. That sets the stage for all the super-calibers we've seen developed over the past 10 -15 yrs. Fun for us who love the sport and the collecting. Profitable for those of us who can sell another $1K+ gun every time someone develops a bigger hand cannon, because some guy wants to be the first on his block!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts