National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun show today. Not much there that interested me. Afterward, we went to Bass Pro Shop. They had two Ruger 10/22's with no box and no manual for $169. Applying for a credit card got me another 10% off. I walked out the door with a basic Ruger 10/22 for a little over $150.

I'm a little excited about this gun. First because its my first rifle I purchased myself and it was cheap. Second because I have plans for it and this will be the first time I'm going to modify a firearm myself. I want to get one of those cheap Tapco stocks and put on it as well as some other (cheap) bells and whistles.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the stuff in but I'll try to post pics as I go.

Out of curiosity, what upgrades have you guys done to your 10/22?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Good deal, neomonk.

I have a Savage tube feed, but wished I had bought a Ruger.

Personally, I've never done any mods to a gun, other than grips & upgrading barrels on a Glock.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Super deal, Neomonk, congrats!! There is Soooo much you can do with a 10/22. Be sure to check MidwayUSA and Brownells for their accessories. Fairly decent prices and neither of them will rip you off for shipping, like some of the others do.

Have fun and be sure to put up the post-mod pics!

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Great deal but why go cheap? Good stuff will not run you much more and you will have a great rifle that folks will admire. Good luck on your build. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great deal but why go cheap? Good stuff will not run you much more and you will have a great rifle that folks will admire. Good luck on your build. :thumbsup:
I meant cheap as in I'm not spending more than what I did on the original gun for any of the parts. I don't need competition barrels or triggers for what I have planned.

I'm already pricing things out on MidwayUSA. Need to check Brownell's next. Thanks for the tip, gunrnr.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Be careful with the parts. Some aren't worth having. If you need a better trigger, there is a way to change the relationship of the parts at the sear. Putting in Power Custom parts or Volquartsen parts won't get you much. A Volquartsen trigger assembly is just plain fabulous and is totally different from the factory geometry. Should you decide to go with a bull barrel, don't buy cheap as they probably won't shoot any better than the factory barrel. Also, if you intend to shoot high velocity ammo like stingers, most of the bull barrels are Bentz Chambered and that type of ammo has a slightly larger bullet and it won't fit in a Bentz chamber. Expect massive fail to feeds. I'd suggest the first part to be a different recoil buffer. The steel buffer in the factory rifle is garbage. You also need to change the rear ramp on the bolt. It's far too steep and rounding it over a little helps a lot. There's a lot of things you can do to make these little jewels hum but they also require premium parts to work right. Look here for good deals on 10/22 stuff. I get all of my Ruger goodies here and have built several. I find it amazing that with the right ammo, half inch groups at 100 yds are possible.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4

Just remember that the 10/22 is a blow back system and the weight of the bolt and the spring weight make it work. Change one thing and you have to change the other to keep it in balance.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Good points, all. Hey, Mr. Trapper -- good to see you again!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be careful with the parts. Some aren't worth having. If you need a better trigger, there is a way to change the relationship of the parts at the sear. Putting in Power Custom parts or Volquartsen parts won't get you much. A Volquartsen trigger assembly is just plain fabulous and is totally different from the factory geometry. Should you decide to go with a bull barrel, don't buy cheap as they probably won't shoot any better than the factory barrel. Also, if you intend to shoot high velocity ammo like stingers, most of the bull barrels are Bentz Chambered and that type of ammo has a slightly larger bullet and it won't fit in a Bentz chamber. Expect massive fail to feeds. I'd suggest the first part to be a different recoil buffer. The steel buffer in the factory rifle is garbage. You also need to change the rear ramp on the bolt. It's far too steep and rounding it over a little helps a lot. There's a lot of things you can do to make these little jewels hum but they also require premium parts to work right. Look here for good deals on 10/22 stuff. I get all of my Ruger goodies here and have built several. I find it amazing that with the right ammo, half inch groups at 100 yds are possible.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=4

Just remember that the 10/22 is a blow back system and the weight of the bolt and the spring weight make it work. Change one thing and you have to change the other to keep it in balance.
Wow, awesome information. I really appreciate it. This is why I like this forum.

I don't plan on going crazy with this thing. I am getting a new stock, the extended magazine release and the automatic bolt release. I figured those were things I can probably do myself. I wasn't going to mess with the trigger or barrel until I've played around with it. I haven't even shot it yet, or any 10/22 for that matter. Right now its just going to be a cheap, fun rifle. Someday I might want to go crazy and do all those things but for now I'm keeping it simple.

I do have one question, though. When I work the bolt handle I can hear the spring making a creeping sound. Is that normal or do I have a bad spring or does it just need oiled?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your spring issue is mostly oil and breakin. The rod should be blued and when the blue wears off of the rod it gets REAL slick. Here's one of my builds:

I have about $500.00 in just parts in this one. It will shoot near one hole groups at 50 yds. I've run all kinds of ammo thru it and it like Federal Game Shoks with the 40 gr bullet best. Go figure, I have cases of match ammo and this one, which is the favorite, likes plain ol' 22 ammo.
FWIW, don't have great expectations with the new 10/22 until you have at least 500 rounds thru it. They come a little rough from the factory but shooting is the best medicine for bringing one in. While you'll find LOADS of opinions on cleaning the barrel one, I don't ever clean before a match and frankly, I don't clean all year. I'll wipe out the action and bolt but no barrel clean. All of mine shoot better fouled and it may take over 500 rounds before it comes back after cleaning. YMMV.

Thanks Gunrnr, I've been extremely busy and haven't has much for internet time. I'll be by to pester you guys again!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your spring issue is mostly oil and breakin. The rod should be blued and when the blue wears off of the rod it gets REAL slick. Here's one of my builds:
I have about $500.00 in just parts in this one. It will shoot near one hole groups at 50 yds. I've run all kinds of ammo thru it and it like Federal Game Shoks with the 40 gr bullet best. Go figure, I have cases of match ammo and this one, which is the favorite, likes plain ol' 22 ammo.
FWIW, don't have great expectations with the new 10/22 until you have at least 500 rounds thru it. They come a little rough from the factory but shooting is the best medicine for bringing one in. While you'll find LOADS of opinions on cleaning the barrel one, I don't ever clean before a match and frankly, I don't clean all year. I'll wipe out the action and bolt but no barrel clean. All of mine shoot better fouled and it may take over 500 rounds before it comes back after cleaning. YMMV.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a good barrel?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The bottom of the GOOD barrels would be a Green Mountain. The rifle pictured is a Green Mountain 20". The Volquartsen are considered the top of the line. Kidd would also be a dandy. I have a blue Volquartsen complete rifle in a Yukon stock, bedded, and it shoots Remington match ammo in a hole at 50 yds and tiny cloverleafs at 100. The 6 oz Volquartsen trigger helps a lot. It's a whole lot more accurate than I ever thought a 22 rimfire could be. If you have the bucks, buy a complete Volquartsen 10/22 but they aren't a cheap date. But it'll also out shoot most any other 22 rimfire which would include the likes of Winchester or Anshutz.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just placed the order with Midway the other day. New stock, scope mount, scope, extended magazine release and a muzzle brake. My next purchase is going to be auto bolt release, larger magazines, recoil buffer, and new extractor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stage 1 Pic

I got the the extended magazine release installed and the new stock put on. I'm waiting on the scope mount and rings to mount the scope. After I shoot it a bit I'll plan out what I'm doing next (more minor things).

Oh, I didn't install the top rail yet in the pic. I put it on after taking the picture.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts