National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I posted up a few questions in my Intro post but I thought it may be better off in the Rimfire Section. I got a Ruger 10/22 with a black composite stock and stainless barrel. It is a fun gun to shoot and go plinking with but it is nothing to look at. I am also wanting a little more versatility and more a comfortable/ergonomic feel while target shooting with it. I was looking at the Archangel Stock at Cabela's but I am not sure whether I should just use the same trigger assembly and barrel and convert the stock or whether I should just buy an all new rifle. What would be some good options for a tactical 10/22 or 22/250? Anyone have any experience with converting the hardware of a 10/22 into a tactical rifle?

Archangle stock/kit: Cabela's: Archangel™ 10/22 Standard Rifle System

Any sights to replace the stock iron sights? I got a piece missing from a few years ago.

The Ruger 10/22 I am talking about

The Hardware

What I am currently shooting. Anything better with a low price per 100?

Thanks for any input,
-James

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,903 Posts
You can find a lower price per 100 quite easily. You will not find better rimfire ammunition than CCI.

Ruger's 10/22 is, possibly, the easiest rifle ever made for the end user to modify extensively. Personally, I'd look for a used 10/22 for sale cheap, buy it and then go a little modification crazy.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been scanning the local craigslist for rifles weekly and there is a shortage of rifles here in the Eastern half of NC. I havent seen any in a good month and havent seen a .22 in a while but I wont give up looking though. I am looking at getting some trigger work done on it after Christmas by a local gun smith. I cant afford a Timney Trigger.

Do you think the Archangel stock would be a good idea for the current one? I was looking something interchangeable so I could convert it back to a carbine if needed. Without replacing the barrel, trigger assembly, or receiver what would be a couple upgrades you would suggest for this rifle?

Also I appreciate the input Popeye,
-James

57,903 Posts
I am an old man and have no use for an Archangel 10/22 stock, for a myriad of reasons. That being said, I know of no quality reasons for avoiding such a stock. Its your money. If you want it, and can find no quality problems, go for it. You only get to go around once in this life.

Doing your own trigger job for the first time is, and should be, an intimidating thought. The 10/22 trigger is, as is the rest of the carbine, the easiest trigger to work on of any ever produced. The internet abounds with 10/22 trigger job instructions and the vast majority recommend identical procedures. The important things are that you take your time (don't ever hurry) and that you follow the instructions exactly.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Green Mountain GM523 barrel also may be in the future for this rifle. $149-$169 bucks for a barrel isn't too bad I dont think. Only reason I am trying to go "Tactical" is for attachments. Mainly the scope attachments. I was looking at a Nikon P-223 scope to mount on it. I didnt want to go as far as a HAMR scope like the ones used on the 5.56 rifles. Also wouldnt mind having a nice wood stock but for maybe under $150. Do you have any go to places for wood stocks? Something along the lines of an Ebony stock. I am going to start watching some videos on how to do the triger job. I want it right around 1 1/2-2lb. Pretty feathery. You are right though the thought of doing a trigger job is overwhelming but maybe once I start watching and reading it wont be too hard

Nikon P-223:

Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC Carbine Rifle Scope FREE S&H 8496. Nikon Rifle Scopes.

Also this was my second choice in stock mainly for distance shooting. I like how I can mount a scope on the scope rail in this one:

Cabela's: Archangel Deluxe Target 10/22® Stock

57,903 Posts
Do not take this post the wrong way. In no way am I attempting to run you off.

If you want to blow your mind, take a look here: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

First, I must warn you. There are some assholes over there. They are not your run-of-the-mill everyday assholes. These are A-number-one, grade-A, first-class, properly-aged, prize winning, and exceedingly obnoxious assholes. You may find them difficult to be around. They also know exactly of what they speak. They are experts at what they do.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I appreciate the link I will have to check them out. Also I got a good laugh out of the warning but thank you for the preparation. I think I can handle it and I am always open to criticizim on my work and what little bit of knowledge I have. Usually in the end it helps me out and I learn something from it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.