National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seller I bought a 12 gauge Saiga from gave me a used gun. Everybody who has seen it including gun dealers and gunsmiths says the gun is a piece of junk. The seller advertised the gun as 'Factory New' but will not give me my money back because the auction listing also says 'As Is'. This is royally messed up and I get over the money I lost to this guy. Not only has the gun been heavily used, it has a cross threaded barrel and a hack job on the stock. He hacked it up trying to make it fit. Seller is TenthGunPro. GunBroker.com's customer protection is a joke. I filled out every form and jumped through every hoop only to have absolutely nothing happen.

·
Registered
978 Posts
While hindsight is always 20/20 I won't buy a gun unless I have it in my hot little paws. I will buy for example a new gun from someplace like Buds and get it at my dealer's shop but that is as close as it gets. Even with a brand new gun in box, I want recourse if something is wrong. In this case there is a lesson learned. Sorry you got burned.

Ron

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,939 Posts
I never purchase a firearm on-line, unless I can use a credit card. If the seller only wants cash, check or money order, I move on and look elsewhere.

As for the OPs problem, if he still has access to the GunBroker listing stating the item is new, I suggest he call his local police and filing a police report. They should contact the seller's local police department and launch a dual investigation. Most of the time, a seller becomes very cooperative whenever the police knock at their door.

BTW, IMHO this thread's title is wrong. GunBroker didn't rip-off anyone. They are simply the website operator that sells space to sellers, who peddle their wares.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Agreed...they are only the middleman. You were snookered by the seller that listed with them and they could honestly care less. I've heard horror stories on the flip side where someone posts a gun for sell and forgets to set a reserve, leaving them forced to sell for as low as .01 (yep a penny). Ouch!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mhm sooo whats the prob? We are talking about GunBrokers right???
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
all kinds od phonies out there, do your research....

·
Jesus Saves
7,977 Posts
all kinds od phonies out there, do your research....
I cannot agree more. I purchased one online and even after doing research and asking (here too), I did purchase from Buds...and it was a very smooth transaction. I am skeptical of buying anything online until I do some deep research, and even then I am hesitant, especially about a subject I am still learning (firearms).

Places like this forum is a GREAT resource.

·
Registered
466 Posts
While hindsight is always 20/20 I won't buy a gun unless I have it in my hot little paws. I will buy for example a new gun from someplace like Buds and get it at my dealer's shop but that is as close as it gets. Even with a brand new gun in box, I want recourse if something is wrong. In this case there is a lesson learned. Sorry you got burned.

Ron
This is good advice right here!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Sorry folks, but I have bought half a dozen guns from sellers through Gunbroker.com and I've never been burned. Every gun I bought was accurately described, I've always received my firearms quickly and well packaged, and I have never had any reason to leave anything but A+ feedback on the sellers I've dealt with. Needless to say, they have also appreciated my fast payment, and I have an A+ rating as a customer.

I have also purchased firearms from GunAuctions.com and GunsAmerica.com. and again, no problems with either service. In fact the auctions I've won have been such good deals, even after including shipping and transfer fees (a wash against sales tax), that I don't even bother with buying guns from LGS anymore. I just frequent them for incidentals and cleaning supplies.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This was always the reason I've never bought anything from GunBroker. Some of the stuff on the site seems too good to be true. For example, when I was looking around for an HK45, I found prices on GunBroker as low as $840 that purported to be new in box, which seemed awfully suspicious seeing as all the big box places sell the HK45 for around $1,100. You have to ask yourself -- why would someone sell a brand new gun for nearly four hundred bucks less than what the market price is AND go through the hassle of selling it online.

Answer? I can't think of one. So that's why I didn't buy anything off that site.

Also, I disagree about GunBroker not having any responsibility. I don't think they do financially, but they have an obligation to their patrons to remove fraudulent sellers. At the very least, the guy who sold a gun as new when it clearly wasn't should have his account IP banned. I mean, that's straight up fraud. Having a guy like that around isn't good for anyone.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
^^ True dat, day and a life in the online auction world [BUYER BEWARE]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
...always nice if arrangements can be worked out for a FF transaction at auction close.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would use them for a deal that's within 100 miles of me. If I can meet the seller in person and physically inspect the firearm, then I'm comfortable with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts