National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on my very first deer hunt this year. I'm looking at what I want to shoot with. I currently hunt turkey and fowl with a Mossberg 835 but the barrel is not compatible with slugs. Should I buy a barrel that can handle slugs or should I just buy a rifle? If I do stick with the shotgun, how much of a disadvantage will I have? If I go with a rifle what are your suggestions for a solid, dependable and inexpensive rifle?

Thanks & happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
There are way too many variables still undefined for a good answer to this question. Where are you hunting? What ranges are you expecting to need to shoot at? Do you plan on hunting other things down the road with the firearm you select? What is your budget?

An entry-level bolt-action rifle in 30/06 will greatly expand your opportunities, and allow you to hunt almost anything that runs around North America. Ruger, Savage, Remington, etc all have fairly inexpensive rifles on the market these days. I recommend handling them all and selecting the one with the features you like.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 40 acres of mostly forest with a couple fields/marshes in the upper peninsula of Michigan. My range is anywhere from 25 yards and up. My budget is around $500, but I'd be willing to spend a little more if I find the right gun.

I am very new to hunting (this is only my second year). I will probably hunt more types of game as the years go, but I don't see myself doing that in the immediate future. Just trying for deer for now.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
First, see what is legal to hunt with in your area from your local Fish and Wildlife office. Most gun shops and outdoor supply stores have your states book with all the regulations for the year and it is free of charge in lost states. If slugs are legal, why will your shotgun not shoot them? You can get rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels and sabot, smooth slugs for rifled shotgun barrels. Up to a 100 yards a slug is very potent and accurate. As CMonster says, a 30/06 is a very versitie rifle but here in Indiana you cannot hunt deer with it. A lot of forrest and short shooting distance so a 300 yard shot is not happening here. In Texas, yes it is legal in most counties. Find out what is legal and take it from there. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
A 12ga slug is bad medicine on a deer.But so is any centerfire rifle cartridge in the right hands.If your budget allows I would go with a rifle over buying a slug barrel.At some point down the road you will want a rifle and that slug barrel is going to sit in the safe.A decent rifle with decent optics will extend your range past 100yrds.Besides that, owning multiple firearms is never a bad thing.:thumbsup:

·
land of the free so far.
281 Posts
Well if you want to drop em fast use a 308. 243 270 works great lots a power,
and not a whole lot of recoil.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
A rifled slug barrel with sabot slugs is very accurate out to 200 yards, A smooth bore barrel with a rifled slug is only good for 100 yds. I would look into the slug barrel since you are only hunting 40 acres. This will accomplish what you are looking for very well and after you get more accustomed to hunting or find a bigger place then you can move up to a rifle. Rifled barrel is around $125 saves you some money. People have been killing deer with shotguns for many years the sabot slug is a vicious deer slayer.

I would not even recommend hunting 40 acres with a high power rifle.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
I'd guess it would depend on what's surrounding the forty acres.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Larry why would you not recommend hunting on 40acres with a rifle???:confused5:
If you listen to the OP, he is new to hunting and 40 acres is a very small plot of hunting land. 200 yards should take care of any hunting property of that size. Let him get some experience first and then he can choose whatever he wants to hunt with. A 30 30 would be a great rifle for that property but hunting it with a 7mm mag is kinda crazy. We do not know what is outside of the 40 acres so my advise would be something more short range 200 yds or so can cover the whole property unless it is long and skinny. He can get a barrel for $125 and do every bit as much damage to a deer as a rifle, so why ask him to spend $500 for a rifle when a rifled slug barrel works great. Believe me I have nothing against rifles at all. I was just giving my advise to the OP just as you were, and in my opinion as a new hunter on 40 acres I think this is the best choice for him.

Reactions: olhippy

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Larry I get the point your trying to make :smile:.You have to accept that everyone is a safe hunter/shooter.The fact that we happen to know the OP has 40acres to hunt on, is beside the point.Safety is 100% on the person handling the weapon at all times.Just saying.

A shotgun slug is not safer than a centerfire rifle this is a myth.Rifles are just as safe as shotguns. Facts, ballistic data and state-injury statistics prove it.

The recoil of a shotgun slug is on par with a 300wm "depending" on stock design and weight of said weapon.Not something I would recommend to a new shooter/hunter that could potentially develop some serious issues after one range session.

OP has a budget which tells me he would like to own a rifle.I agree with you, a 7mag probably shouldn't be on that list.Not from the safety point of view, but because cost of ammo,recoil and barrel life.I think a 243/308/30-06 would serve his purposes allowing him to get handy with said rifle without going broke or getting beat up.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Once again--what is legal to hunt with in the area the OP is in. He gets caught with something not legal and he can kiss his 40 acres and weapon goodbye. Most rifle calibers are not allowed here in Indiana. Nothing over 1 1/8" long allowed. Most hunters here hunt with shotgun slugs or a .44 mag or .357mag. Get caught with anything bigger and your pocket book will get a lot lighter!

·
54,933 Posts
Live in Milwaukee. 40 acres in the U.P.
U.P., I assume, is Michigan's Upper Penninsula.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Shotgun/slug hunting is the majority of what takes deer in the Midwest. In Illinois, it is all you can use other than a bow. I own a 270 Savage as well. We have timber behind our house that I hunt and it is thick with brush, deadfall, oaks and vines. I'm not sure I would want to take a shot over 75 yards in that scenario. Targets and plinking yes, but unless I had a more open area with a clear shooting lane, I would limit myself to my 870 slugger. It does a fine job, without saying.

·
54,933 Posts
One old man's experience. Your mileage may differ.

I am 67 years old. I began hunting whitetail deer when I was 7 years old and bagged my first one when I was 10 years old. I didn't keep count but I've probably killed in excess of fifty whitetail deer and have used a variety of rifle and revolver calibers to do so. I've hunted, and bagged, deer in Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California & Nevada. I have never taken a deer at a range in excess of 150 yards and the majority were taken at ranges less than 100 yards.

If one knows what one is doing a 'big boomer' rifle is unnecessary when hunting whitetail deer. Any more, I use assorted revolvers when hunting deer, bear and feral hogs.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Dang River, Why are you so critical of my posts?

New hunter on 40 acres of land who has a shotgun. He can put a barrel on it for a lot less money. Then he go out in the woods and set for hours and realize that he does not like hunting. In other words (in my opinion) he should buy the barrel and get started. If he likes and gets into it well then move up. If he wants a rifle he should buy a rifle.

Yes a shotgun will travel more than 200 yds but not near as far as a rifle. Yes it is always the PERSONS responsibility where every bullet goes. PERIOD.

Yes he sounds like he has a minimal budget to begin hunting with (like most do) so you want him to go spend $500 + dollars on a rifle and scope when he can get away with $250 for a barrel and a scope.

Yes it is legal to hunt the UP with a rifle.

Ok so he buy's this 308 rifle and he is setting on his property and a big old buck walks by and its at 450 yds off his property. He can hit it but it is not legal to do so. He shoots gets busted and loses everything just because temptation is there that you had suggested he do. I know it's a stretch but I believe you had it coming.

I am allowed my opinion and it may differ from yours from time to time but we are on the same side here. I get it you are a big rifle guy, I know that much. Me, not so much mainly because Indiana is not so rifle friendly. This thread was brought up for different opinions on what a new hunter should do. Not about weather hunting with a rifle is better than a shotgun.

Rant Over!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Larry, I'm not sure what you mean by being critical of your posts? I haven't challenged you nor made stupid comments directed to you in any way. I thought this was the gun discussion forum and the OP's post was Rifle vs slugs?

The OP's original 3 questions...
1. Should I buy a barrel that can handle slugs or should I just buy a rifle? Open for discussion...My vote was to buy a rifle if his budget allowed,,,which the Op later stated it was $500 or maybe more for the right rifle.

2. If I do stick with the shotgun, how much of a disadvantage will I have? Open for discussion....I stated the same as you basically, that its deadly on deer. Now in my mind, the only reason to use a shotgun slug is because you have to, due to regs, or because that's all you got. I have been in the latter category, as a young man, and all I owned was a Revelation 12ga pump that was my do everything gun. Which in this case neither really applies to the OP. A day at the range plinking with shotgun slugs doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. A rifle would allow for so much more.

3. If I go with a rifle what are your suggestions for a solid, dependable and inexpensive rifle? Open for discussion,,,,,Neither of us replied as I think we both will agree that there are a lot of decent rifle's in that price range.

Now to clarify some of your comments to me....

1.I don't WANT the OP to buy anything as you put it.....I want him to buy whatever makes him happy.
2.This is not opinion but facts,,,,shotgun slugs are not safer than rifles PERIOD.
3.The "it's a stretch" comment on how it would be my fault if the OP did something illegal,,,would be about like me saying since your a car salesman and someone drinks and drives its your fault.That's just silly.

Your entitled to your opinion and so am I.We're not always gonna agree on everything end of story.WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE AT THE END OF THE DAY.Hopefully we can resolve this thru pm's if you wish and let this thread continue on without a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Larry, I'm not sure what you mean by being critical of your posts? I haven't challenged you nor made stupid comments directed to you in any way. I thought this was the gun discussion forum and the OP's post was Rifle vs slugs?

The OP's original 3 questions...
1. Should I buy a barrel that can handle slugs or should I just buy a rifle? Open for discussion...My vote was to buy a rifle if his budget allowed,,,which the Op later stated it was $500 or maybe more for the right rifle.

2. If I do stick with the shotgun, how much of a disadvantage will I have? Open for discussion....I stated the same as you basically, that its deadly on deer. Now in my mind, the only reason to use a shotgun slug is because you have to, due to regs, or because that's all you got. I have been in the latter category, as a young man, and all I owned was a Revelation 12ga pump that was my do everything gun. Which in this case neither really applies to the OP. A day at the range plinking with shotgun slugs doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. A rifle would allow for so much more.

3. If I go with a rifle what are your suggestions for a solid, dependable and inexpensive rifle? Open for discussion,,,,,Neither of us replied as I think we both will agree that there are a lot of decent rifle's in that price range.

Now to clarify some of your comments to me....

1.I don't WANT the OP to buy anything as you put it.....I want him to buy whatever makes him happy.
2.This is not opinion but facts,,,,shotgun slugs are not safer than rifles PERIOD.
3.The "it's a stretch" comment on how it would be my fault if the OP did something illegal,,,would be about like me saying since your a car salesman and someone drinks and drives its your fault.That's just silly.

Your entitled to your opinion and so am I.We're not always gonna agree on everything end of story.WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE AT THE END OF THE DAY.Hopefully we can resolve this thru pm's if you wish and let this thread continue on without a bunch of BS.
You have a private message.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gosh, 50 years ago I started deer hunting in the UP!! Along the Black River about 6 miles from Lake Superior in the Superior National Forest. So much for fond memories. In the country I hunted in back there a rifle would have been my choice. I bought a 270 win from Shotgun News for $65.00 and never regretted it. Back then scopes were newfangled items and almost everyone hunted with model 70 Winchesters with peep sights. I was the odd ball with a L/H Savage and a 2.5X Weaver.
I've killed over 100 head of big game with that rifle since then from Canada to Mexico and lots in between. Last thing I killed with it was a 6pt Bull Elk and that was 4 years ago. I've killed a lot with a shotgun with slugs also but only when the law required it. I've got an 870 Wingmaster that's taken dozens of head of deer and one black bear but if I have my choice it would be a rifle. Much as I love the 270 if I was going to buy a rifle to start big game hunting now it would be a 30/06 BUT I wouldn't back up from anything in NA with a 270 in my hands. FRJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like some said, there's alot of variables but to answer your question as well as possible . A mossberg 500 is an incredibly great gun for the low price. With the standard smooth open choke barrel it can shoot foster and rifled slugs. For the close range stuff a mossberg 500 is cheaper than a decent rifle and you have the slug option. For longer range with deer Weatherby Vangaurd is a low-mid priced rifle , It was my first hunting rifle and love it still. Chambered for anything from .223 to .300. I'de reccomend the .308 version. Flat shooting, managable recoil, and the round has enough power to blow a deer over (litterally) but not blow it apart yet in defense or hunting situations can drop a bear easily with the nice blunt but light 308 recoil. Can also accurately touch ranges as far as a mid-price scope will let you. It's a tad over the $500 mark but worth it. The mossberg500 I've seen as low as $260 to $330. Remember, smooth open choke barrel for the rifled slugs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts