National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of general questions for those a lot more experienced than I.

I've been reloading for my 40 and my FIL 9mm for about 15 years between a Lee turret press and now a Hornady AP. I'm very comfortable reloading the pistol calibers, but I want to start reloading for my 30-06, 7.62 Russian and 7.62x39. Trying to get some pointers on what some of you have learned not to do when starting out with a new cartridge.

Thanks!

·
Aim true !
10,273 Posts
I load play rounds for rifle on my turret. Like light loads with red dot. And use a powder dump. But if i want precision loads. Then i go with a single stage and weigh each powder charge.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Use a good sizing lube like Imperial. I like to de-prime and tumble my cases before sizing. I load 30-06, .243 and .223. I use Barnes bullets whenever possible and most of my shooting is at deer, pigs, coyotes or varmits.

·
Live Free
2,874 Posts
^^^^^^ Very much agree with the case lube and decap/clean cases prior to sizing! A good chronograph is very helpful developing loads. Take a little more time inspecting cases, especially for incipient case head separation. Have fun!

welcome to NGF!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Make sure you set up your sizing die correctly to get the correct shoulder bump or the rounds won't chamber or will be hard to chamber. When it doubt just try the sized case in your gun or a case gauge before loading them up. If you plan on crimping it's easier and you're less likely to mess it up if you seat in one step and crimp in another. If you decide to do it in one step make sure all your brass is the same length to avoid crushed cases.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
When I reload rifle rounds I do it the same as pistol round but I have to use more match heads for powder.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
When I reload rifle rounds I do it the same as pistol round but I have to use more match heads for powder.
Actually that can be done. Not that i would recommend it though...

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Your brass will need lube to resize properly. I agree with using a single stage for rifles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts