National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mossberg 500 loaded with two #4 magnums followed by 4- 00 buck. The first gun I go for is the Baby Eagle 40 SW but if the Mossberg is closer, it'll work.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Remington 870 Police Magnum 00buck.

If someone makes it into my house, or is trying to, I want to know that one well placed shot right in the chest will terminate the intrusion. Intimidating, easy to operate and literally no chance of a mis-feed/jam.

G

·
Winchester Defender 1300 followed by the Mossberg Persuader 500. If I am not in the bedroom where the shotguns are the G19 that is always on me in the house is quite capable of ruining the day of a home invader. PNC Starfire, 12 rounds in the magazine (I never stack the magazine if I don't intend to shoot the bullets immediately, so I keep 12 rounds in a 15 round magazine as to not stress the magazine).

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I just don't like the idea of a shotgun for home defense. If you have a huge place, then OK, but in my place I would have to repair too much drywall in the event of a shooting! ;)

Naw, I will stick with my fun little 45 acp, low pressure round with high pressure stopping power! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
sig232, the law frowns upon you emptying the shotgun into the criminal. Just shoot once and minimal damage to the home will result.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Trapper L said:
sig232, the law frowns upon you emptying the shotgun into the criminal. Just shoot once and minimal damage to the home will result.
I have visions of taking out the fridge, dishwasher and cat with one blast! Plus sweeping the halls with the big long barrel sticking out there for someone to grab and deflect makes me a bit concerned for home clearing. I think racking the slide of a shotgun might wake up the wife too, and then there would be hell to pay!

Maybe a short barrled one, but then I think those are illegial!

In the home I will use my 45 acp. Thirty years of practice has made me a pretty good shot with that caliber!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Rifle. I'm much more experienced in close quarters shooting with a rifle than a shotgun, and a shotgun's spread would damage stuff around the door.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'll take one of these...Saiga 12k, comes in .12, 20 or .410ga.

G

·
I'd have to say that I'd choose a shotgun. Shotguns are meant for close-quarter shooting, and unless you live inside the Houston Astrodome or something, most every home is going to be a "close quarter" situation.

If I were to use one of my rifles for home defense, I suppose I'd choose my Mini-14, although with the folding stock closed, I'd likely be as accurate as the guys were on the A-Team.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
sig232 said:
I just don't like the idea of a shotgun for home defense. If you have a huge place, then OK, but in my place I would have to repair too much drywall in the event of a shooting! ;)

Who cares about drywall when you have your life, and the life of your loved ones to defend?!?!?

·
Registered
761 Posts
SheNine said:
sig232 said:

Who cares about drywall when you have your life, and the life of your loved ones to defend?!?!?

I don't miss when I'm using a rifle in close quarters. I have yet to miss a target as far away as 50 meters with a rifle. You almost don't need to aim at short ranges, and in many cases, you don't aim anyway. If you're eyes are on the target and your weapon is pointed in the general direction of the target, you have much much greater odds of hitting the target than you do of missing it. It's one of those mysteries where your eyes and your hands work together without being told to do so.

G

·
I would not recommend a long gun of any type except for shooters like Zulu who have training in close quarters combat. For a non trained person like myself I would be vulnerable to the intruder grabbing the barrel. Plus my age and physical condition is not so good.
I used to trust my handgun for home defense, now that Taurus has come out with the Judge in .410/.45 it serves both purposes- shotgun and pistol. I load the first cylinder up with #4 birdshot, the next 4 are 230 grain .45. I've posted this before but for the newer members here's what she does at approx 12-15 feet.

Fot those with a /357 wheel gun, the .38 shotshell is very effective as the first round up. Shoot for the face, good chance of taking out an eye, guaranteed lots of blood to obscure whatever vision is left. Tendancy is for bad guy to put hands over face as a reflex, if he/she doesn't stop the subsequent .357 slugs will put 'em on the floor.

G

·
As to worries about sheet rock and appliances, that isn't the issue. We have four grown children and three grandchildren. When they're all home (Thanksgiving and Christmas)the two bedrooms downstairs house son, daughter in law and grandson, 9 months, plus son and girlfriend de jour.
The two upstairs bedrooms contain the rest; daughter, son in law, 3 yr old girl and 4 month old grandson, rounding it out is single daughter and probable boyfriend de jour.
That's a total of 11 potential collateral damages. Double ought buck will easily penetrate our bedroom walls plus either of the downstairs bedrooms.
I realize that everything in life is a trade off, if the intruder(s) are not stopped there could be a massacre. Under my bed is my Mossy pump with 7 rounds of #4 buck, wifey has a .38 special wheelgun on her side. If either of my sons are here they are both well armed, both .45 ACP. Bring it on Buckwheat. :---

·
Registered
569 Posts
Zulu7 said:
SheNine said:
sig232 said:

I don't miss when I'm using a rifle in close quarters. I have yet to miss a target as far away as 50 meters with a rifle. You almost don't need to aim at short ranges, and in many cases, you don't aim anyway. If you're eyes are on the target and your weapon is pointed in the general direction of the target, you have much much greater odds of hitting the target than you do of missing it. It's one of those mysteries where your eyes and your hands work together without being told to do so.
Not so easy to hit a moving target with a rifle that's why a shotgun is better for home defence, plua a rifle round is more prone to go through the victum and hit other neighbors.

G

·
I keep a loaded pistol grip shotgun, and loaded handgun on every floor of the house. My primary choice is the shotgun, because I live in an urban area, and there is less of a chance of overpenetration in to a neighbors house. Also less chance of a miss when you are trying to quickly identify a target after just waking up.

How many of you that keep a shotgun for home defense go out and practice shooting from the hip at ranges of 10 yards or less ?

I also keep an AR-15 in a case with 6 loaded 30 round mags, just in the event of an Indian attack :cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
dcinffxva said:
I keep a loaded pistol grip shotgun, and loaded handgun on every floor of the house. My primary choice is the shotgun, because I live in an urban area, and there is less of a chance of overpenetration in to a neighbors house. Also less chance of a miss when you are trying to quickly identify a target after just waking up.

I also keep an AR-15 in a case with 6 loaded 30 round mags, just in the event of an Indian attack :cool:
I totally agree with the shotgun, but I only have 5 loaded 30 round mags for my AR15 cause that's how many mag pouches my case has.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts