National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this, and it has confused me since. I'm guessing it's an Arisaka of some sort judging by the markings, but the rest is just confusing.

DSCF4697.JPG DSCF4698.JPG DSCF4699.JPG DSCF4700.JPG

A bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A type 99 Arisaka. The mum (royal crest) was ground off the action to save honor when this rifle was surrendered. The stock is a classic "bubba" job.
Not worth much at all at this point but the actions are known to be strong, Clean it up , have a gunsmith look it over and it could be a hunting gun. Ammo is available. Take a close look at the bore and see if it is chrome lined which is a good thing.

·
5,082 Posts
Sorry, for some reason I cant open pics. On top of chamber where mum is or if defaced/ground off, between mum and chamber breech is bored little hole(s). One hole, type 99 rifle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello one shot, I learned to do suduko in Japanese numerals (just to make it more fun), Number on breach is 99. I picked one up years ago for $35, it has the mum still there and the sheet metal dust cover that rides with the bolt.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts

·
5,082 Posts
Hello DrTunes and thanks Popeye but still no pics. Just four white square tabs. Is old smart phone having to use, but I see most others? Maybe Popeye tell you about rifle, he is a proven expert I am amateur. I know last Ditch bring little more. Condition still key. Called last ditch cause last three years WWII (most our involvement) they used reduced available materials and deleted items. Like no handguard, no finger grooves, changes to stock, shoulder strap hook at stock, two screws, to only one to a nail. Much on web to help as to markings, makers etc. Seeing "rash" of these lately. Guess losing vets just too fast each day. Sad. One more thing per a Last Ditch. Bolt knob made small and circular. Instead of original plumb or olive oval. But they still used original parts laying around so some Last Ditch are mixed etc. Still waiting for a mysterious "Concentric Circle" rifle to show up here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the help, everyone.

I gave it a fair clean, so a lot of the rust was knocked, but it doesn't look too bad now. (Could be worse) DSCF4701.JPG And the bore looks great.
I found the firing pin, and I'm hoping to at least find the safety knob.

Again, thank you all for the help. I had my leanings, but there was just too much confusion for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts