National Gun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok... so I just got back from the range. I have a S&W 66 .357 Magnum that I took. Now, I have put several hundred rounds through this with zero issues... Until today.

I stocked up on some "MagTech" ammo a while back... which has always worked flawlessly for me. But, being the junkie I am... I ran out before I was ready to leave the range. So I went out into the store for a fresh 100 count box to get me by for a few more minutes. All they had was "Independence" brand, which I snatched up.

I get back out in the range, loaded up 6... POW... ????? I felt a "peppering" across my face. POW, POW, more of the same. So finally, instead of looking at the target, I watched the cylinder as I fired. POW... I can see the damn Shrapnel blowing backward from the front of the cylinder.

My son came over from his lane, and tapped me on the shoulder... "Your face is bleeding pretty bad dad" he says. I reach over... and sure enough... the crap is embedded in my face. Good sized chunks too. I have blood pouring down my face from all over.

So my question is this... even after shooting for over 20 years, I have never had this happen. Could this be a poor ammo thing? or maybe a timing issue on the wheel?

Again... never an issue before this ammo, and I did not have any other brand to shoot to confirm if it was just junk ammo.

Anyone?

Reactions: sig232

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Damn! That's not funny....... Never heard of that happening before. Sure hope someone can come up with a reason for that to happen.

My first thought is junk ammo, but I can't figure out why it would blow back?!?!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Damn. Something is haywire for sure. Take out that cylinder and get a barrel light and check out the forcing cone to see if you are leaded up. Also is the cylinder turning smooth or is it dragging. Make sure the bullets are dropping in all the way as they are loaded and not being blocked by a build up of powder.

Mic the ammo to see if the lead is within spec. I had some shaving happen one time with reloads and some nasty crap was coming out the side similar to your problem. Had a bullet size that was not within specs for the barrel and cylinder.

Let us know the outcome.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn! That's not funny....... Never heard of that happening before. Sure hope someone can come up with a reason for that to happen.

My first thought is junk ammo, but I can't figure out why it would blow back?!?!
I was thinking... maybe the diameter was off... and maybe being "shaved" down as it entered the barrel, and blowing out the gap in front of the cylinder.

But that is merely a guess... I'd bet our ol' buddy Gunrnr, will have something to add to this.

Reactions: NGFadmin

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I can think of three obvious reasons why this would happen if it was projectile parts that were blowing back.

1. Your revolver is seriously out of time.

2. The ammunition is seriously out of spec.

3. A combination of 1. & 2.

Reactions: Big Daddy

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye is right on, as usual. If the revolver's never done that before and all of a sudden does so, it may well be the ammo BUT, don't discount the possibility of a worn hand or cylinder stop. In any case, Get Thee To a Smitty ASAP.

Reactions: Big Daddy

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Wow!!!

I've never heard of this. I've used Independance before, but as I recall not in a revolver.

Shooting glasses are a good thing. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This happened to a friend of mine while we were out shooting last year. He was shooting a 44mag wheel gun and he felt blowback in the face... he stopped and found a nice chunk of lead in his ear and was bleeding pretty good. Not sure what caused it, we blamed it on the ammo and put that gun away for the day.

-Derek

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Did you see any obvious damage on the gun? Cylinder? anything? especially after using that paticular ammo?
I have fired my 66 quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it, but I haven't used that ammo either.
I certainly hope your "rugged good looks" weren't affected by the shrapnel...

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Scars are sexy, Girl! :biggrin5:
Again, you just have to cause trouble, don't you??? Sex, sex, sex, it's all about you and sex!
I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell ya...

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I had this happen to a S&W Model 29 .44 Mag. back in the early 70's. It was out of time. At the time I knew a good gunsmith who specialized in wheel guns. He re timed it and it's been shooting like a top ever since. Bill T.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not have the time to run it in to the Smithy today... however, I pulled the actual bullets out of the cases on both brands of ammo to do a little comparison.

The MagTech brand (which I usually use) the bullet fit nice and snug in and through the cylinder. Not too tight, not loose... it just felt right.

The Independence brand bullet did not want to go through the end of the cylinder... at least not without a bit of effort. Not WAY TOO TIGHT, but you would really have to push. I put a mic on it... and there was a difference of about .005

I also ran my light through to check the alignment between the barrel, and cylinder. Though I know eyeballing is certainly not "Accurate" by any means... but it looked good. No damage... no looseness... and timing still looks good.

I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow to test with my usual ammo to see what happens... being extra careful of course!

Besides... my wife picked up a new XDM tonight, she (me) really wants to throw some lead around with it, so I am blessed with two great reasons to sneak off to the range...lol

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I can think of three obvious reasons why this would happen if it was projectile parts that were blowing back.

1. Your revolver is seriously out of time.

2. The ammunition is seriously out of spec.

3. A combination of 1. & 2.
Shot revolvers for many years and Mr Popeye hit the nail on the head. I would do like Mr Gunrnr say's and get that thing to a gunsmith.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow to test with my usual ammo to see what happens... being extra careful of course!
I do not believe I would be in a big hurry to shoot this particular revolver until it has been checked out by a reputable Smith.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not believe I would be in a big hurry to shoot this particular revolver until it has been checked out by a reputable Smith.
How can one argue with such logic... You're absolutely right. I will be taking her in today BEFORE any range trip. Let the doctor give her a clean bill of health first.

I appreciate all the input!

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well... I took her yesterday.

Smithy says the timing is 100% dead nuts accurate. He picked and probed her... no issues that he could find.

He also spec'ed the ammo... said it too was within tolerance. He offered on one last suggestive cause. He said sometimes the ammo manufacturer will get a bad lead/jacket mix? Whatever that means. He went on to say... that it could be the batch used in the lot number I bought was too soft, and expanding upon initial combustion from the blast pressure. Sort of "swelling" before it even passes into the barrel... and being shaved as I suspected.

Though he went on to say that the ammo I had, he'd never heard any complaints on before. But recommended trying my usual again.

So... with a clean bill of health... it's off to the range to see!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I would be tempted to clean each bullet of the batch that was a problem. Maybe a very light coat of a dry lube and see if that helps. I have used that methoid to my advantage a couple of times in my past. Or just the ammo that is a problem.

Over the last 40 years I too have had the same problem with revolvers and it was always the ammo. If its a timing problem most or all of the ammo will do the same thing and the cylinder will drag many times.

Timing problems usually show up either early when you first buy the revolver or when it has considerable wear after many thousands of rounds have been fired.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts