National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used Taurus Tracker 44 mag. Great looking gun for the money. I live in Bear country and got it for my walks in the woods. The gun has an issue I can’t figure out and am hoping for some informed feedback on what the issue might be.
the weapon functions perfectly when unloaded. Pull the trigger in single or double action and it works perfectly. When it’s loaded ( even with dummy rounds) in double action it functions fine. In single action the trigger binds and won’t engage the seer about half the time.
Ive polished every piece in the gun the touches or rotates on another part (a full action and trigger job). I’ve got it pulling at 5# in double action and 2# in single action. If I take the hammer totally out of the weapon and just pull the trigger with the dummy rounds or spent rounds in it it still binds about half the time. It only does this when it’s loaded. I’ve even polished the hand thinking it may be binding during rotation. Granted I’m doing these tests with the cover plate off to try to see why it’s binding. Nothing is obvious. Taurus said they will fix the issue. They have a super warranty but if they fix it I learn nothing.
what do you folks all think.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Send it back and let them fix it. The lesson learned is not to buy a Taurus.

If you insist on continuing to try and deal with it make sure you clean and lube the extractor especially under the star.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Send it in to Taurus. Ask them to explain on the work order they send back with the gun what the problem was. Then you will learn exactly what it was. Unless you are a good enough revolver gunsmith to diagnose and fix the problem, I wouldn’t mess with it. You might wind up with a gun that lets you down on a walk in the woods. Just MHO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Not the answer I’m looking for. I’m a gunsmith and have taken every part out of the gun and studied them and worked them over. I’m not looking for your snarky sarcastic answers. I thought that this was a good sight for common discussion on issues we run into. Guess not. I already know I can send the weapon back. (Edited by moderator).

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Keep in mind if you send it back to Taurus they may not touch if they can tell someone has been in there polishing parts. I have heard this of some gun manufacturers in the past.

Reactions: QuickdrawMcgraw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind if you send it back to Taurus they may not touch if they can tell someone has been in there polishing parts. I have heard this of some gun manufacturers in the past.
Thanks for not being snarky. I had already talked to a rep and let them know that I am a smith and what the issue is. They seemed happy to have a look and informed me to sent a note with what I had done and found. Taurus was really good to talk with. A few years ago I had bo I got a small 25 cal. That was missing parts (the seer). I couldn’t find one anywhere. Sent the weapon to them and the seer replacement was free. Really a good company to deal with. They stand behind there warranty really well. Some folks may not like a Taurus but they make a fine gun. I personally dislike Glocks and won’t own one but they are extremely well built guns. I bought the Taurus because the same weapon in a Ruger or Smith is about 300 to 400 more just to throw a bullet.

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
No one was being snarky. We don't know everyone's experience. I like my Taurus guns too. The little spectrum is my EDC. Today im packing it and my PT140. Were traveling close to a 100 miles today. Never know who you will come across on the way.

·
AZHerper
4,116 Posts
Not the answer I’m looking for. I’m a gunsmith and have taken every part out of the gun and studied them and worked them over. I’m not looking for your snarky sarcastic answers. I thought that this was a good sight for common discussion on issues we run into. Guess not. I already know I can send the weapon back. Don’t respond if your going to be dicks.
Well goodbye, so long, farewell forever...dum dee dum

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Your trigger is locking up. Something went together wrong or you took too much metal off something.

No ones being snarky. You worked on a firearm took it apart polishing parts and the company might not fix it seeing you work'd on it. Lets not forget you bought a firearm from a company that has a history of putting out bad firearms and C/S (if any) sucks, not to mention their repair record for fixing firearms is not the greatest. Fact is, I shouldn't even use the word "great" in that last sentence.

Taurus is trying to fix that though they r not in too much of s hurry to do so, it seems.

Send it back and lets see what happens. Hope you get it fixed.

Reactions: Square target

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your trigger is locking up. Something went together wrong or you took too much metal off something.

No ones being snarky. You worked on a firearm took it apart polishing parts and the company might not fix it seeing you work'd on it. Lets not forget you bought a firearm from a company that has a history of putting out bad firearms and C/S (if any) sucks, not to mention their repair record for fixing firearms is not the greatest. Fact is, I shouldn't even use the word "great" in that last sentence.

Taurus is trying to fix that though they r not in too much of s hurry to do so, it seems.

Send it back and lets see what happens. Hope you get it fixed.
This is why I’d like to fix it myself. Said it would take 3 months to get it back. Whom ever owned the firearm before me has filed on the hammer. Not the seer side. It shouldn’t have any effect BUT it may. That’s why I asked everyone for some possible advice. Someone may have the answer. Aleays look to other experts to save time and Maybe an eyeball.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
I've had trigger lock up on one Smith and one Ruger. Took it to a smith and he explained to me that the timing and the transfer bar was off on each. The bar wasnt installed right and the little cylinder lever (turning the cylinder) was dragging.

Whether he was right or not they both worked fine when they left his shop. Just something to look at.

·
Live Free
3,247 Posts
Not the answer I’m looking for. I’m a gunsmith and have taken every part out of the gun and studied them and worked them over. I’m not looking for your snarky sarcastic answers. I thought that this was a good sight for common discussion on issues we run into. Guess not. I already know I can send the weapon back. Don’t respond if your going to be dicks.
I was not being snarky or sarcastic, just my honest opinion. Was not aware of your experience level, but you reserved mentioning that till after you were peeved anyway.
I do not have a high opinion of Taurus for a few reasons that I will not bother with, but I do hope they will help with your problem; hopefully the manufacturer can figure out what a gunsmith cannot. This is a good sight for common discussions, but we are not all gunsmiths; you might keep that in mind. Possibly Popeye will chime in on this, he has a fairly extensive knowledge and history...

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had trigger lock up on one Smith and one Ruger. Took it to a smith and he explained to me that the timing and the transfer bar was off on each. The bar wasnt installed right and the little cylinder lever (turning the cylinder) was dragging.

Whether he was right or not they both worked fine when they left his shop. Just something to look at.
That parts what we call the hand. That’s where I went first. It felt like it was dragging so I polished with a stone the finishes and got rid of the drag. Didn’t get rid of the bind. Revolvers are tough to figure out when they get out of time. I don’t have any trouble figuring out issues with semi autos. They are pretty straight forward but revolvers have a tendency to stump me.
one issue I do have with Taurus as with a lot of gun companies. They don’t turn there parts loose so I can start swapping parts. Taurus, Winchester, Kimber, Sig are jerks that way. Taurus does have a really good warranty though. I inform folks that ask about a weapon. If it has a year warranty only. Don’t buy it. It means it’s gonna break and your going to either pay them a lot to fix it or buy a new gun. Jimenez and Hi-point have great warranties and stand behind their cheap guns.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Some call the hand a pawl. I point that out because I think I was called a sporting goods store that I will never patronize again. Unless maybe it's a going out of business clearance then I'm here to help.

I simply offer my opinion and express it in different ways. I had a conversation just yesterday about the competence levels of mechanics and car parts stores. If I had a mechanic asking questions about fixing a car I would wonder how good a mechanic he is.

·
Aim true !
11,332 Posts
The warranty would not stop me from buying a gun. I have 2 guns over a 100 years old that still shoot fine. A few from the 30's 40's 50's and up. That there is no warranty. Still rocking along fine. Look at Ruger. No written warranty. But they stand behind their products.

Reactions: Scrub oak

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Don't get your feelings hurt, not meant to be snarky. Just joking about warranties....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some call the hand a pawl. I point that out because I think I was called a sporting goods store that I will never patronize again. Unless maybe it's a going out of business clearance then I'm here to help.

I simply offer my opinion and express it in different ways. I had a conversation just yesterday about the competence levels of mechanics and car parts stores. If I had a mechanic asking questions about fixing a car I would wonder how good a mechanic he is.
Nooo. Say it’s not so. Even a good mechanic runs into a question once in a while. I have a coven of three other smiths that I am good friends with. We all have things that we do really well and help each other with issues that stump us. My friends can’t figure out this issue either. That’s why I bring my question to a committee of other gun nuts. One of you may have had this issue and found the answer. Maybe not, but a dumb man never asks a question. And the part is a pawl, the lever and a hand. So your right. Just as the cylinder lock is also the ball.
ive only been smithing for 9 years and don’t know everything. So when I get stumped I ask. Can’t learn if you don’t ask.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't get your feelings hurt, not meant to be snarky. Just joking about warranties....
That was great. Glad you put it out there. And I own some 100 year old guns that are far better than the new ones. Steven’s 520. Awesome shotgun and I can still get parts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Send it in to Taurus. Ask them to explain on the work order they send back with the gun what the problem was. Then you will learn exactly what it was. Unless you are a good enough revolver gunsmith to diagnose and fix the problem, I wouldn’t mess with it. You might wind up with a gun that lets you down on a walk in the woods. Just MHO.
Thank you. The only part I haven’t messed with is the extractor. That makes sense being that it only has an issue when loaded. Robles may be in the front of the gun and not the back. Good call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts