National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love some of the wood grips that gun owners put on their revolvers to personalize them. Beautiful zebra wood and rose woods.

But I will have to admit I am a lot more fond of the fantastic rubber type grips that most manufacturers deliver with there revolvers today. The grip and comfort is fantastic!

What do you prefer? Rubber, plastic or wood?

G

·
Wood is ascetically pleasing, but I prefer the feel of a rubber grip. I have a Taurus Tracker .357 with rubber ribbed grips, it feels nice...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wood is best for me on my revolvers.

Wood can be sanded or filed down where needed, as my fingers are shorter
than the average. Thus, I can make the wood grips fit my hands and I can
shoot guns that fit me a whole lot better than guns that don't!

However, the Hogue rubber grips on my Ruger KP-90 fit perfectly.

So, if you find a set of rubber grips that fit...GO FOR IT!

Your mileage may very!

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
How about wood Hogues? This old 57 shoots great and I have good control, even with my little bitty hands.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
On the other hand, if it's going into the field, I like the rubber Hogues, like on this Mod 610:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
red-rider said:
Gunrnr, Quit showing off that 610...Its just not fair that I dont have one..not fair.
Me? :) Show off?? :eek:

Never, I tell you!! ;)

Reactions: DPM

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Baldy said:
Mostly I like wood. I do use goodyears on one of my M-36s. It's the one I carry the most. I bought them for my wife but just don't like small framed revolvers and I have never put the wood back on. ;)
Seriously, I've put Goodyears on most all my revolvers except the Python, and even that one gets a tire change when it goes to the range, just to protect the factory grips.
Hogues just have such a great feel and allow for a near-perfect natural point of aim that helps me shoot better, regardless the revolver. I have wood Hogues on the Mod 57 and a 657 and they feel pretty good. But the rubber ones allow me positive grip and better control on every revolver I've put them on. The S&W 1006 I recently acquired had them on already and help quite a bit, so I guess they're great on SAs, as well.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I carry in a belt holster either back and left or SOB. My front pockets are too small and it would be exceedingly uncomfortable (and too noticable) to carry there. I don't like using the back pockets, either. I practice regularly and have had no problems hanging up on clothes with Hogue grips. There have been minor issues with the rubber grips on my Taurus 415, though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
sig232 said:
I love some of the wood grips that gun owners put on their revolvers to personalize them. Beautiful zebra wood and rose woods.

But I will have to admit I am a lot more fond of the fantastic rubber type grips that most manufacturers deliver with there revolvers today. The grip and comfort is fantastic!

What do you prefer? Rubber, plastic or wood?

While I have to admire the look of many wood grips, I find rubber ones way more comfortable.

That and I put Crimson Trace Laser Grips on every gun I have they make a set for. :lol:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Depends on caliber
Mild=wood
Wild=rubber
I do prefer wood on single actions so it can slide a little.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I first started shooting handguns I started with a Redhawk in 44. I then started looking for a grip or stock that fit my somewhat large hands better than thean the stock set up.
I found that Herrett's work well for me and give good control.

I've since had a lot more of them made.

.............Okay, yes I really really like my wood stocks and most of my revolvers are dressed in them.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I spy with my little eye, something that is blue, with a 6" vent rib barrel. NICE Python Lynnie!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts