National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some extra high capacity magazines a while back and they have this written on the back.

"Restricted LE/GOVT only"

This was a requirement before the high capacity mag rule was eliminated in most states. The gun store told me that it was not a problem now that the law has changed, but I wonder?? What happens if the law changes back and I wanted to either sell the mags or the gun with the mags?
Could I be prosecuted for owning LE only magazines. I am sure I don't have the receipt to prove when I bought them.

It does make me nervous to have that written on the magazine. I do like having the extra capacity though, and will keep them and run the risk.

Do you have any Glock mags with the same label on written on the magazine? Does it concern you?

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
It's still innocent til proven guilty. If there are markings on the mag other than those such as a serial number they may be able to be traced. If not, then they are untracable. In the event that the law changes they will either let the public know that all mags that are in private posession that violate the law must be turned in, or they will say nothing of the sort. I know in the case of California that if you had a high capacity mag before the ban you are allowed to keep it. If you are seen with a mag manufactured after the ban you could get in trouble. For instance Pmags for an AR-15 were obviously manufactured after the ban since they have only been out for a couple of years at most, so you're not going to win a 'I've had it since before the ban was instated' aregument.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I have bought several HC mags marked for LE. They were sold by a company with a good rep and they were trade ins. I'll just let the law take care of it's self but that's just me. :biggrin5:

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Well if they reenacted the ban, then it would not be legal to sell them anyway right? But you would be able to keep them as you purchased them preban. Or am I missing something here?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Well if they reenacted the ban, then it would not be legal to sell them anyway right? But you would be able to keep them as you purchased them preban. Or am I missing something here?
I think you hit it right there C-D-P. There not going to do anything about it. California don't even worry about it. :biggrin5:

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
I avoid magazines marked LE/Govt use only for these very reasons. If you gave me a hi-cap Glock mag marked LE/Govt, I'd take and keep the spring and follower, and throw the body away. I know...I'm weird that way.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The number of rounds of capacity is not the issue. The issue is the statement stamped into the sheet metal. That said, that verbiage was required by the 1994 Clinton Crime Act. The act expired in 2004. It is understood and was addressed by a BATF newsletter that that statement is no longer applicable (at the Federal level). If the congress were to enact restrictions again, it would need to devise another way to distinguish between all magazines made and/or possessed before the date any new legislation took effect and any made subsequent to said legislation. That would likely be done by requiring another date stamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts