National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

looking to add gun #2, 3, and 4. Have been shooting for a few years and currently own Springfield xd 9. I’d like to get more involved with indoor and outdoor ranges and would like an all around gun mainly for range and self defense. Could you let me know your thoughts on which to go for from the list. Unfortunately, I’m dealing with California only. Thanks.

Smith & Wesson M&P 45 ACP 4.5 Inch
Fmk 9c g2 $350 9mm
S&W M&P 45 - 45 ACP
Glock 22 Gen3 .40S&W
Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm 3.9"
Beretta PX4 STORM .40S&W 4"
Beretta M9a1 9mm
CZ 75 SP-01 01152
Sig Sauer P220 45ACP NS Blk 4.4"
Sig Sauer p226 full size. 9mm
Springfield 1911 45acp

· Aim true !
14,169 Posts
These threads are like asking what is the best car/truck. Your going to get everyone's preference. If possible try out the ones on the list. And see what you like best. Also check youtube reviews. Hicok45 is one of my favorite to checkout something im interested in.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,014 Posts
In order, I would pick the following ....

1. Sig Sauer p226 full size. 9mm
2. Sig Sauer P220 45ACP NS Blk 4.4"
3. CZ 75 SP-01 01152
4. Sig Sauer SP2022 9mm 3.9"
5. Springfield 1911 45acp
6. Beretta M9a1 9mm
7. Beretta PX4 STORM .40S&W 4"

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These threads are like asking what is the best car/truck. Your going to get everyone's preference. If possible try out the ones on the list. And see what you like best. Also check youtube reviews. Hicok45 is one of my favorite to checkout something im interested in.
Agreed. Will definitely try them out at the range but thought I would take a survey and go with the top answers. Thanks.

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
I would be inclined toward the Sig P226, Springfield 1911, and the CZ 75 SP-01. My opinion only. I agree that you should try as many as possible so you have a genuine feel for yourself, otherwise it’s just opinions...

· Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,893 Posts
In no particular order:
CZ 75 SP-01 01152
Sig Sauer P220 45ACP NS Blk 4.4"
Sig Sauer p226 full size. 9mm
Springfield 1911 45acp

Reactions: RMLamp

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
All of them. Pick a starting gun and go from there. I stopped buying guns a few years ago. I don’t need anymore and I have a gun for everything I could possibly need one for. I have to pick up my latest purchase on Monday.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,323 Posts
At first glance, it looks like you went through some reviews without handling them. There is an extremely wide spread in how each of these feel. Each has a different grip angle. S&W, Springfield and Sig all kind of have their own signature feel in the hand. Sig tends to be fuller in the hand even with single stack due to the curve in the back strap. Springfield tends to be middle of the road in their single stack but all of the Springfields have the same grip angle as the 1911. Single stack S&W tend to be very narrow and as far as the list is concerned, inferior to all of the other with respect to the internals. I tend to buy only smaller calibers in S&W for that reason. My advice is to handle each, pull the slide off and look at what’s inside. I don’t care how well built a gun is, if it’s not comfortable in your hand, you probably won’t enjoy shooting it near as much as one that is.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
on the list as is.....
sig p220 and springfield 1911 would be my "wants" as the only full size guns to make the list.....i simply do not want a full size gun and be forced to settle for neutered capacity magazines.

if you included compact versions of the models you listed, then the cz75 pcr, glock 23, sig 229 would be included....as i could tolerate the 10 rd capacity a tad easier.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At first glance, it looks like you went through some reviews without handling them. There is an extremely wide spread in how each of these feel. Each has a different grip angle. S&W, Springfield and Sig all kind of have their own signature feel in the hand. Sig tends to be fuller in the hand even with single stack due to the curve in the back strap. Springfield tends to be middle of the road in their single stack but all of the Springfields have the same grip angle as the 1911. Single stack S&W tend to be very narrow and as far as the list is concerned, inferior to all of the other with respect to the internals. I tend to buy only smaller calibers in S&W for that reason. My advice is to handle each, pull the slide off and look at what’s inside. I don’t care how well built a gun is, if it’s not comfortable in your hand, you probably won’t enjoy shooting it near as much as one that is.
Completely agree. Difficulty nowadays is being able to hold them when almost all stores are sold out and the guns on the shelves are limited in type.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
on the list as is.....
sig p220 and springfield 1911 would be my "wants" as the only full size guns to make the list.....i simply do not want a full size gun and be forced to settle for neutered capacity magazines.

if you included compact versions of the models you listed, then the cz75 pcr, glock 23, sig 229 would be included....as i could tolerate the 10 rd capacity a tad easier.
Unfortunately 10 round is cali law. I know, I know, I should move out of state. I am considering the sigs over the others at this time. I’ve handled a few on the list and this was one of them.

· Registered
4,403 Posts
They are all blue bloods and will probably serve you well. You need to determine what your goals are and narrow them down so you can select the gun to suit your need that you are trying to meet. Range guns and carry guns are normally on opposite ends of the spectrum. Range guns are normally larger while carry guns are smaller. It looks like you compiled your list from youtube videos and now want, again, someone to make a choice for you.

There are many factors involved and you need to break it down and decide what best fits you not what someone else thinks they like so it must be good for you too. This is going to be the abbreviated version. The full version is more comprehensive but I would have to charge you. This one is gratis.

Decide budget. Get a tool that will fit the job not one that maybe will but it can also do windows.

Decide caliber, related to budget does it make sense to get a caliber I can't afford to shoot? 9 is cheaper but I think a 45 is the venerable manstopper. How much shooting do you plan on doing? Do you ever think you will be reloading?

You have an XD 9, do you like it?

If you do the XD-S mod.2 is a good carry gun.

I do recommend a 1911 for every collection. Being a ruger man get a 45, SR1911

Reactions: Popeye

· Last Stand on Earth
6,323 Posts
I’d follow that up with checking out the XDE, the hammer fired version of the XDS. I have the 45 and 9mm. It’s double action/ single action. The trigger in single action is hard to beat. Holds 1 more round in its standard mag.

I’m not the best reviewer out there but I did a review on the 9mm a while back.

· Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
I'll play! :)

No order seeing each is exceptional.

CZ-75 SP01 9mm

Glock 22 40SW

SIG P220 .45 ACP

Springfield 1911 .45 ACP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.