National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IM000964.JPG IM000968.JPG .17 Ackley
GUNS 52 DAY AT THE RANGE Martini Henry and Martini cadets.jpg Back to Front .17/221 fireball; 219 Donaldson Wasp; .218 Mashburn ;.25/20 Winchester; .22long rifle. There are ten more not pictured various calibers,
IM000531.JPG .50/70 Government with the Malcolm scope. I made two of these my grandson has the other one.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir. I know most of you folks have seen these in the past three or four years. We have an few newer members that are interested in the little Martini cadets.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The top two pictures, was that the hurricane wood you found?

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nearly all the stocks I have carved in the past 20 yrs have been made from trees knocked down by the 1989 Hurricane Hugo. My brother still has a large wood barn full o some really nice walnut air dried slabs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I was wondering if it is walnut. Beautiful work and a nice piece of wood. Walnut is some hard to work with wood!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,318 Posts
I don't know what you did for a living, but you missed your true calling.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if it is walnut. Beautiful work and a nice piece of wood. Walnut is some hard to work with wood!
This wood has been air dried in a hot attic for over 20 yrs. Yup, about like scratching on cement. I burn a lot of dremel cutters shaping/inletting a stock. Air dried Mesquite makes walnut seem like balsa by comparison.:crazy:

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't know what you did for a living, but you missed your true calling.
Mad is spent my younger days running around in the boonies getting shot at. as a member of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
Later years running around the city getting shot at by druggies and other criminal elements.
Making stocks is what I did for relaxation in my stone man cave. Never went commercial, after my apprenticeship, because it was embarrassing to work for $.11 an hour.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, American, Claro, and Black walnut. I made a few, not pictured, from a 50', 100 year old cherry tree. It fell blocking the road to my brothers farm, another Hugo victim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts