National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Renaissance Wax on all my clocks. I just read this post over on the clock forum and thought I'd pass it on.

I may be new to clock repair, but I'm a long-time bird hunter and gun owner. I use Renaissance Wax on my best guns, both for storage and to take out in the field to hunt with. I've found over the years that Renaissance Wax's protection on metal and wood is very durable in all weather, including heavy rain and snow, and indoors it lasts seemingly forever. And, as others have said, a tiny bit goes a very long way. I have to think it is near perfect for clocks...

·
Registered
17,063 Posts
I've only ever heard of people doing this with guns they found metal detecting. Basically civil war guns found in fields or rivers and doused in the wax after they have been cleaned to keep the preserved. Never heard of anyone using it on guns being used. Interesting.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I heard good things about it so I got some to try. I say try but I bought the big container. That's how I go broke saving money but it fits in with my hoarder behavior. I bought it from Midway or Brownells, even though I think Amazon had it and it may have even been a it cheaper. Brownells has been around for a long time and Midway is a big 2a supporter and sometimes it doesn't make sense and it's harder to do but I spend a little bit more to support them. Amazon makes life easier because it's so convenient but saving money going with Amazon and Walmart hurts in other ways in the long run.

I need to figure out how long the protection last, I heard the need to re-apply every 6 months. Can I apply over oil or do I need to degrease. Should I or can I oil over the wax? How do you get it in the nooks and crannies?

I started with some Damascus knives I have that I failed to oil and got some rust. I got some Flitz and cleaned them and we'll see how they do.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
57,376 Posts
Renaissance Wax is good stuff. As with any wax, build-up will occur with repeated applications. It does not easily wear off. One more thing. When applying this wax, if you think you aren't using enough... you're probably using too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts