National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im seriously looking at getting either(preferably the 770) in a Win 270 round.
Does anyone here have experience with the gun? Good or Bad?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
They are passable entry level rifles.

I suggest that you save your money and get a 700 of some sort. It will last several lifetimes assuming a modicum of care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really not too savy on rifles, so you may have to explain your first statement just a hair more.

I'll look into a 700.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye could provide more details than I, but the 700 series is among the best rifle designs ever. It's the basis for the U.S. Military's bolt action sniper rifles and a design that's been around and working well for over 50 yrs. The 710 and 770 are good entry-level, reasonable cost rifles that are lower-priced because many manufacturing steps have been either skipped or combined. Just one example would be that the barrel is press-fit and instead of screwed-in. There are several other differences which Popeye, who's a gunsmith, could better explain.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,672 Posts
Okay, let's back up here just a bit. What do you expect this rifle to do for you?

Hunting? If so, what? Where?
Target shooting?
Recreational shooting?
Competition?
Homeland defense?
Bragging rights?
You just figure its time to own a long gun?

What is it that attracted you to the Remington 710/770?

These are serious questions.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Catholic Damage said:
Im seriously looking at getting either(preferably the 770) in a Win 270 round.
Does anyone here have experience with the gun? Good or Bad?
I have owned both the 700 and 710 in .270 I like the detachable mag. on the 710 but overall I like the 700 better. I have deer hunted with both, made clean kills with both, never had a problem with either one. To my understanding the 770 is more or less a better looking 710. I would go with a 700 but for you I would say go look at both, compare, and pick the one you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if your looking for a gun to hunt with. you want to take it out and fun a few rnds through it to check poi, shoot a deer, then put it away till next year, its a great rifle.

if you plan on target shooting and running a serious amt of ammo through, the bbl will eventually wear out, then the gun is pretty much garbage.

if you think you may want to modify it some day, match trigger, diffrent stock, heavy bbl, ect... the gun is useless.

if the only accessory you ever want to get for it is a sling and a cleaning kit, go for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that i read that, it looks like it came across pretty hard against a 770 (the 710 is no longer made)

let me just add that i DO have a 770 in 270. it is a great shooting rifle. i like it. but i also have 4-5 700's.

just dont expect one to do what it cant, and it prob cant be made to either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used a 710 in 30.06 for deer hunting & it worked just fine for me. The 700 is also a good rifle. I have never fired a 770 so not sure on it just know it is the replacement for the 710.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts