National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17,528 Posts
I know they had problems when they first rolled them out several years ago. I heard they were going to fix the problems but really haven't seen much since then to see if they did or not. Is that the bushing where you pen is laying and is that also the bushing right behind the chamber with the pistol assembled? If so that looks like a interesting design.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the pen is on top the bushing. The chamber is actually at the rear of the ejection port, what you see in the front of the ejection port is the cylinder bushing shown underneath. From what I’m gathering, we are looking at a Pedersen designed delayed blowback system. Basically, the same system from 1917. The breach stays locked momentarily until the breach is safe to open and eject the case. I’ve steered away from most Remington pistols because of the look but when I picked this one up it just felt great in the hand. The aluminum frame is a very nice touch.

There are a ton of bad reviews out there, most are a few years old. This is supposed to be the gen 2 of the new releases. Even after the gen 2, there were some bugs that needed worked out. I’ve seen a few more recent reviews that suggest the issues have been resolved. One guy ran 600rds through it of various ammunition with only 1 failure to eject towards the end. I hope the issues are fixed because I’m kind of digging this one. Fit and finish was spot on. It’s different but so is the last Remington pistol I bought, the RM380 (also metal framed).

One thing I’m not a fan of is the cumbersome takedown. We will see once I have it here to play with. In person, it’s pretty sleek and appears to be a quality piece.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got her home. Here are some better pics under bright lights.

She is exactly the same length As the S&W 380EZ. A hair shorter in the mag well by maybe 1/8” or so. It is however heavier by a few ounces. I’ll weigh it later when I review it.

First impressions... feels good in the hand. Heavier pistol but very well balanced. Doesn’t feel like a polymer pistol where the weight is all in the slide, this has a good center of gravity.

I took it straight from the box, no clean, no lube, fired 14 rds into the ground in the pasture. The only thing I experienced was the very first round wouldn’t strip off the mag. I pull the slide 3 times, then dropped the mag and looked at it. The round was not all the way back where it belonged. I pushed the round back where it belonged, put it back in the gun and it stripped like it should have. I’ll chalk that one up to user error. After that, no cycle, no chambering issues. Ran flawless.

Excellent feel shooting. Smooth and little recoil compared to other 9mm pistols I own. Very nice feel.

I cannot comment on accuracy because I was shooting toward the ground into darkness. I’ll report on that when I get a chance. If it continues to cycle well with factory ammo and has decent accuracy, I’ll be very happy. It’s too early to tell just yet.

One thing I noticed right away when I came back in the house, no residue on the outside of the gun, none. Inside of the barrel is filthy but nothing on the outside. That was the Unique powder in those rounds. I would have expected some noticeable residue on the slide around the barrel opening but nothing.

I purchased a Crimson Trace laser made for it and 3 more mags. The laser will take a while to get here but the mags will be here in a couple days.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
well.....in the "looks" dept, i prefer the remington........
looking forward to your review of a range session with her........

the mag release also looks interesting..........and the slide release lever is generous which would be good for this lefty.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
the smith looks rather.....business like...teutonic and cold.....

the remington looks rather.....well maybe this explains it.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I have run 200 rds through it. 80 Winchester white box FMJ, 50 Armscor FMJ and 21 copper plated hand loads. The earlier failure to chamber the first round happened again, this time it was light enough to see. The mag wasn’t fully seated, user error as I said before.

As far as feeding and ejection, it was chucking brass like nobody’s business. We had one instance of a slow chamber (it hesitated for a second) but chambered on its own. I still hadn’t given her a drop of oil or even pulled it apart yet. When I did pull it apart it was bone dry, I mean the powder residue was chalk like dry. I can’t believe it did that well in that condition. The slow chamber of that one round is completely understandable. If it will run like that in that condition, I’d say the problems it had before have been fixed.

I didn’t paint the targets because it was pretty windy and going to rain soon so all I can say about the accuracy at this point is that it pings 8” plates at 13 yards with no problem. I believe I missed the target once because I got it swinging pretty good and missed timing my shot, but that’s not the gun’s fault.

My wife shot about 5 mags through it and she did pretty well. I caught her flinching (we had her new Springfield out there too). She said it shot ok but she prefers the double stack grip in the palm of her hand, less felt recoil in her palm.

My assessment is that for $199, Its worth it. At least the one I have is. 2018 is the last video I saw out there so a fresh look is in order. It’s a bit cumbersome to disassemble and reassemble and I’m not a huge fan of the barrel bushing but it’s a $200 pistol. I got some footage and I’ll try to get a video up this weekend.

· Registered
166 Posts
Thank you for the info, Philmo!

I've been looking closely at these. I'm not in love with the stark boxy military operator look of most plastic pistols, although I have one or two or...

I have no need for rails on a pistol either so this one strikes my fancy. Clean, simple to look at, hard to field strip from what I've seen but I like tinkering with my guns so that's not a problem.

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I’ll cover the good and bad in the video. It’s 26 min but I’ll talk briefly about it, take a look at the outside, the inside (not a complete disassembly), compare it to the S&W, take it to the range where you can witness the issues then give you my final thoughts.

I’m also half way through filming the review for the RIA BBR 3.10 Gen 2 1911 of you are interested in that. I have another thread in here I’ll be posting that one to after the rain finally stops.

· Registered
166 Posts
I’ll cover the good and bad in the video. It’s 26 min but I’ll talk briefly about it, take a look at the outside, the inside (not a complete disassembly), compare it to the S&W, take it to the range where you can witness the issues then give you my final thoughts.

I’m also half way through filming the review for the RIA BBR 3.10 Gen 2 1911 of you are interested in that. I have another thread in here I’ll be posting that one to after the rain finally stops.
For right now I'm just anxious to get my SA 1911 (PX9151L). This panic buying has delayed shipping everywhere. Once that is in my sweaty little hands (;)) I think Remy will be next. I may go shopping locally for it, however, I've been keeping my eye out at farm and fleet fleet stores and they are all either out or don't carry it, but since I'm not ready to buy I haven't asked if they can get it.

Looking forward to your videos.

· Registered
166 Posts
I got this one at Rural King. I just checked, they are out of stock online but if there is a store nearby, they may have one.

Btw, good choice on the 1911. I just checked, there’s 7hours left on the upload...
7 HOURS! :oops::sleep::sleep::sleep: You still have dialup? Just kidding...I have no clue how long uploading videos takes.

We don't have Rural king close by, I'm not even sure if they have stores in Iowa. I'm aware of them however and hear they have all kinds of good prices on many items. I'll just have to keep an eye out.

I had this one on layaway since February since my income is more geared to SCCY's. Then I got laid off, now our stimulus check is delayed, a perfect storm causing delays in paying it off but it's been paid for now for two weeks and they won't be shipping it for another week! I keep telling myself....patience grasshopper...good things come to those that wait...and wait...and wait...😊

· Last Stand on Earth
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
For a lot of people $900 or $1,000 gun is a major purchase. I make pretty good money and even I shutter when the tag gets that high. Take care of it and shoot it often. That’s a nice gun, it’ll serve you well.

As for YouTube, well, that’s a mess. Only way I’ve found to consistently get it published on the first try, I film and edit on my phone, transfer to a computer, upload to google drive because it doesn’t degrade the video, import it to google photos, then from YouTube, I can publish from my google photos library. Like I said, it’s a mess. 26 min of video is about 5gigs of 1080p.

For Rural King, not in Iowa, got stores in Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Alabama but RKGuns.com will work for you. $12 shipping +transfer at your local dealer would have to be a pretty good deal to absorb that cost.

· Registered
166 Posts
I do everything computer related through my phone. I live out in the sticks (if there would be sticks in Iowa), I'm surround by row crops fields about 2-1/2 miles off the pavement. Not terribly remote but far enough away to be quiet and lonely, just the way I like it. Nearest town is six miles so almost too crowded here. I do have one neighbor about 1/2 mile away...but he's ornerier than I am. A railroad foreman. Pretty hard core mean guy. We get along.

I have two shooting ranges out back. A short pistol range and 100 yard rifle range. I've got two handguns and some rifles here I recently bought/built that I haven't even shot yet. :confused: I haven't shot the latest AR (7,62x39) I built (in my avatar) yet, nor the SKS I got myself for Christmas. A couple of plastic pistols and one cheap Heritage pistol all need shooting too. Getting around is getting harder in my young old age. Both knees and one hip are shot from over a quarter century of being a pack mule in construction and playtime accidents. Getting up on my tractor is painful.

But I digress...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.