National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how the reviews are on the R-25 and if it has any of the classic jamming problems that the AR-15 guns have. I'm looking to buy an AR style weapon but don't want to deal with jamming or the small 223 rounds. The R-25 is available in 7mm, 308 win, and the 243 win round that I'm looking at buying but my main concern is reliability. I was also wondering if there is any other AR style weapon that might be better and be submerged under water and sand then removed and immediately fired. I know the Colt M4 pretty much explodes when putting it in water then firing directly after. I need a very very durable and reliable AR style weapon.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Galli industries make a pretty nice gun that comes in both.223 and .308 calibers.
Its made with the same long piston model as the AK and uses a hammer, so its jams infrequently. 35 rounds a mag when using .223 and 25 rounds a mag when using .308

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I know I'm jumping onto this thread a bit late, but a couple of things: Mr. Snipemaster made 3 posts between 31 August and 3 Sept 2008. No mas.

Mr. Mendez was voted off the island by unanimous acclimation long ago.

Misterbig (coincidentally one of my nicknames, but we won't get into that) made his correct comment in his only post.

And Ms. SA, as usual, is correct. But she's speaking to ... whom?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
mr mendez had a typo when he typed "it hams frequently". I took it to mean 'it jams frequently' and snipemaster referred to "don't want to deal with jamming or the small 223 rounds."

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
We were never sure exactly where Mr. Mendez was from. He claimed to have been from Korea but with much experience in the US. Don't know. Suffice to say he was...to put it mildly...'prone to different reasoning' and of somewhat limited ability with the English language. That's about as charitable as I can be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own a brand new R-25 in 308. It has had extraction and stovepipe issues since day 1. I called Remington for repair locations. They said that the only way to get it repaired under warranty is to ship it to NY. So, I spent $250 on different rounds and a different clip, and I cleaned and lubed it. No change, still jamming. So, I call them one more time, pleading to let a local shop fix it - no dice. So then I go to ship it ... $132!!!!! I called Remington again to complain and they said the maximum they will reimburse me is $25. Nice.

I have also inquired with several gunsmiths and shops. There seems to be a trend in R-25 jamming issues.

So, I have spent $382 + many hours trying to get my brand new rifle to work right. My advice: buy another brand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The difference is knowledge!

Ask any real shooter and they will tell you that problems occur with the ar-15 type rifles. This is standard with any rifle if precautions are not taken to prevent it from happening. If you shoot weekends every other 6 months and do not remove carbon build-up you are asking for trouble. I have found that with the ar-15 style rifles if you use a bit of graphite dust as a dry lubricant on your internal parts that dust, sand, and carbon will be less likely to stick to them. Whereas if you use an oil or grease type lube it will invite dust sand and other nasties to eat away at your parts and cause jams. Bottomline your weapon is an extension of your lifestyle if you are not going to put the time in to clean and care for it as you should , I suggest you get a bolt action model in 308.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Think I'll have some popcorn & watch this one. :44: :biggrin5:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
While not an AK when it comes to durability, simplicity, and reliablity, I have found my ARs to be quite issue free, accurate, and durable. I have owned both for 15 yrs, and one was bought used (quite used, and is a pre-ban rifle). I am not the stickler for cleaning I should be either, and both have performed exceptionally. Like SA said, this is not 1965 anymore.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I am just wondering what constitutes a " real shooter "?

To me, if you have fired a "real" gun with "real" ammunition then you are de facto a " real shooter".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for picking apart my reply and making me sound like a horses rear end there guys and girls. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers about the real shooter comment. I meant real world people like military and law enforcement personnel who's life depend on them every day. Wonder why the military teaches soldiers how to clean their rifle hum rekon its because of prevention of jamming and other problems they encounter with the platform. AK-platform will almost 99 percent of the time fire. They are known for their reliablility to do so and were designed to do so.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Your statement can be taken different ways, Mr. Opie. You don't mean that the AR-15 is not a "real shooter", do you? I took your words to mean that a "real shooter" is one who knows and understands his/her weapon. If that is so, and if you stick around a while, you'll get a better idea just what the experience level of some of the players here is.

When you make statements like you did, perhaps not meaning to sound like a know-it-all, but definitely coming across that way, you might expect someone -- or in the case of a gun forum with several 'real shooters', several someones -- to snipe back.

The gist of your argument is well-taken. You might want to thicken up that skin just a might, though. That, and maybe spend some time reading through different parts of this forum so that you have a better idea about who you are interacting with. A few of us are about as real as it gets.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
(checking self with reality meter) hmm, not liking those readings :crazy:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
We probably should've poofed this thread back in "Mendez" Days.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
everyone who shoots an AR15 is in "the real world". Suggesting that "real world people like military and law enforcement" are any more real than I am in my use of an AR is frankly rediculous. If you are on this planet you are in the real world. I cannot make you sound like a horses rear, you did that all by yourself. Only you said that about you.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thank you for picking apart my reply and making me sound like a horses rear end there guys and girls. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers about the real shooter comment. I meant real world people like military and law enforcement personnel who's life depend on them every day. Wonder why the military teaches soldiers how to clean their rifle hum rekon its because of prevention of jamming and other problems they encounter with the platform. AK-platform will almost 99 percent of the time fire. They are known for their reliablility to do so and were designed to do so.

Nothing personal to you, but I don't see how this explanation helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts