National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a bug to make a close quarters gun. I could just build a 50 Beowulf AR pistol but the ammo is $2.50/rd. I got the idea to build a custom 12ga using a Remington 870 TAC14 pictured below. It’s about $.80/rd for slugs. I will get into to legal reading later but I know as is, it’s a non-NFA item, with a 14” barrel.

DEB66803-32E4-49F5-A4BA-B7365419EA38.jpeg

What i I want to do is replace the grip with an AR style grip below

21AF036A-C1FF-40A4-BB30-1DD622210947.jpeg

Then replace the stock on the grip with a firearm brace like below

3D4493B1-57DE-4B65-BA43-EE873DD2A911.jpeg

Question is, does any of this cause this to become an NFA regulated firearm?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Someone on here has done it before with the mossberg equivalent. As far as I know, it's still non-NFA so long as you use a pistol brace and not a stock.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
I live in a rights restricted state so I'm a little more uptight about this than some I guess. I know very little about NFA laws so what I'm saying is simply what I would do.

I would leave it alone. I have a Tac-14 and wouldn't even considerer altering it. If you're basically trying to create the "firearm" that the man in the vid showed them my advice would be to purchase that firearm in that configuration directly from Remington. That way the serial number and SKU and show that's how it was built. I personally would not take a 870 receiver throw a birdshead and 14 inch barrel on it and call it good. The SN on that receiver shows that it did not come configured that way. (remember that intent thing he mentioned in the vid?)

Like I said, I live in a rights restricted state (NJ) so I'm a bit more uptight about this stuff than some. It all boils down to comfortability. I wouldn't be comfortable while others would have zero issue with it.

Another example.... slightly off topic but along the lines. There is a company (Troy Industries) that makes a short barrel AR-15 "other firearm" that is NJ compliant. This gun retails for $1200. Which I think is too steep for basically an AR pistol. I can build one with better components for cheaper but I won't do it because of the grey area I feel I could step in. The Troy firearm actually ships with a letter from the NJ state police that states its classified an "other firearm" and legal for sale in NJ.
The risk to my second amendment rights is just not worth it to me. When it comes to this I like things pretty black and white,

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
There is also the risk of them reversing their opinion on these guns too. There was just one in the news a month or two ago that is being recalled because the ATF changed their minds. For the life of me i can't recall what gun it is but the manufacturer is buying them back. It's possible it was the Troy....Ok just looked it up. its the FosTecH shotgun. here is the article.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/after-atf-ruling-fostech-recalls-all-origin-sbv-shotguns-offers-consumers-replacement-options/

Reactions: deputy

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... That way the serial number and SKU and show that's how it was built. I personally would not take a 870 receiver throw a birdshead and 14 inch barrel on it and call it good. The SN on that receiver shows that it did not come configured that way.,
Not what I’m doing, and that would get you into trouble. I’m buying the TAC-14 and changing the birds head for a pistol grip/brace combo.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is also the risk of them reversing their opinion on these guns too. There was just one in the news a month or two ago that is being recalled because the ATF changed their minds. For the life of me i can't recall what gun it is but the manufacturer is buying them back. It's possible it was the Troy....Ok just looked it up. its the FosTecH shotgun. here is the article.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/after-atf-ruling-fostech-recalls-all-origin-sbv-shotguns-offers-consumers-replacement-options/
I’m not 100% sure on this but he mentions it has to be at least 26”. The folding stock on the one in the link would be under 26” folded. That may have been the cause for the overturned decision. Mine won’t have a folding stock. Therefore the overall length will be over 26” in shortest configuration. If they did overturn the decision, I can always reinstall the birdshead grip. Supreme Court needs to drop a freaking hammer on ATF. Their “Policy Decisions” are circumventing congress and being treated as “Law”. Their wishy washy bullshit is costing people money and in many cases their freedom, making law abiding citizens criminals without due process of law. Someone besides the citizens need to see some prison time over that.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,951 Posts
Not what I’m doing, and that would get you into trouble. I’m buying the TAC-14 and changing the birds head for a pistol grip/brace combo.
Logically you should be good to go. However when has gun laws ever been logical??? I suggest you contact either an attorney well versed in 2A law or the ATF and ask them.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
Not suggesting that's what you're doing. I understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
I was simply pointing out that taking a 870 receiver and "creating" a Tac-14 wouldn't be ok.
If you want to be completely safe. Remington already makes the firearm you're trying to create. Why don't you just buy that and avoid the grey area?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, what I thought I ordered and what I got are 2 different things. I wanted the buffer to come pretty much straight out the back. This one is at an undesirable angle. See pics of it mounted to a full size 870. The brace will be here Monday so I’ll try that on and see if I like it. For nothing else, I may just buy a semi auto to mount this to. Lengthening the stock does raise the receiver into eye level, how that translates to felt recoil is what will define what happens to this one.

23F3C4FE-3CC6-4FB5-89F6-C997B9BFD073.jpeg

7E92E598-519D-4753-8133-60FD04C71DE6.jpeg

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
you specifically mentioned slugs.........on this platform, what are you going to use for sights?

maintain the bead, drill and tap for a red dot, or go with an aftermarket irons set?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you specifically mentioned slugs.........on this platform, what are you going to use for sights?

maintain the bead, drill and tap for a red dot, or go with an aftermarket irons set?
Don’t know yet. As I mentioned, primarily for close quarters. Whatever is on there may just stay. If I do put something on it, they make a carriage with a pic rail to mount a red dot. I don’t care for red dots though, they have a tendency to go dead when you need them. In fact, the one on my VR60 will probably come off. It’s an M&P red dot and it has the same problem. The sights that came on it were actually pretty nice. By that I mean really easy to obtain target very quickly.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worth mentioning, if you’re trying to find your target through sights in close quarters, you’re probably going to die.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve decided to go with a bullpup. RIA makes the VRBP and I can get one for about the same price (actually less) as this solution and it’s semi-auto instead of a pump. I see no benefits to forcing this to my liking. I’ll keep what I have as I am sure I’ll build an AR pistol at some point and the replacement stock/ handle can be used on an 870 tactical later on. I am sure at some point, I’ll have one of those too.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
Word of … update? The ATF is revisiting the arm brace and blades again. Connecticut is also going to do something bout these arm braces, blades, and Others soon. Connecticit has been looking into banning Others out right and using "intended use" on the braces / blades. i.g. if you can not see the sights on the firearm when its strapped to the arm using two hands, its banned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts