National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first medium to longer range rifle. I was in the Corps for 5 years and always heard from our snipers that they loved the Remington 700. I would like it to be chambers in .308. I am sure there are some in here that have got at least 1. I would like to know the pro's and the con's of this rifle. Any constructive comments would be very welcome. Also if there are different types of the Remington 700 that are nicer than others that would be nice to know. I am not looking to put a Suppressor on it. I am thinking a decent scope and possibly bi-pods.

Kyle

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Are you looking for a pretty gun...?.
What is your budget ?
What is the main reason you want a .308.
What is your intended target
At what range parameters are you considering.
Are you just looking for a general rifle?
Most good tools are designed for a specific purpose.

Rem 700 ADL ( standard stock entry level quality ) Still a nice gun
Rem 700 BDL ( much better wood ) more options in barrel length and diameter and twist.

add a decent scope ( 800 to 1000 dollars ).

Make sure you do your homework before spending your money.. Buy the right gun for the right reasons...
Welcome to the forum

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
MY 700 BDL chambered in 25-06 28 inch Bull Barrel 10:1 twist. 25 X recoil compensating Unertl scope.. deadly at 600 to 800 yards.. no need for a silencer.. the target will never hear it coming before it is too late.

i-DF89twH-L.jpg .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for an all purpose medium to long range rifle for my loadout. 500+ range is a must. I don't care about the looks as long as it gets the job done and it is easy to take care of. I don't have time to treat the rifle like a virgin, I need it to be durable and still keep up. My budget at this time is negotiable as I am more doing research on the rifle itself. I like the .308 because I have heard nothing but good things about it, also it is a rather common round from my understanding so no matter the situation I should be able to find ammo for it. My intended target for now is paper, however hunting is not out of the question. More or less I have a list of calibers that I am wanting to fill and .308 is one of them. I have heard good things about the Remington 700s however I have also just heard that a Savage might be a better option. More than anything I need the rifle to be a nail driver, accurate, easy to use and maintain, and not come with a monster price tag.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
If you want to get out past 500 meters and be a nail driver,( five rounds in a quarter ) you need a bull barrel ( heavy barrel.. ) barrel flex at different frequencies based on the load. rather than going any farther, the statement you want a long range nail driver, and expect to get it at less than a monster price tag is a pipe dream.. a scope to get you out to 500/ 600 meters is almost 1000 with mounts. a long range gun is not a good carry gun.. but a good hill to hill or hill to valley stationary hunter, or a bench gun. . So at this point you are doing good by doing research.. If your question is, " Is a 700 Remington a good platform... yes... ... lots of thought has to go into a trigger, a barrel, a caliber... a pretty stock wont make any difference in printing... a long tight twist heavy barrel is about the best you can get in designing a long range rifle.. anything less will be less accurate.
Good luck
Bill aka ET

·
Rifleman1776
242 Posts
Remingtons have a reputation of unintended discharges. Even with modifications and design changes it is still happening. I will never own, or handle, a Remington rifle.

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,874 Posts
Remingtons have a reputation of unintended discharges. Even with modifications and design changes it is still happening. I will never own, or handle, a Remington rifle.
You mean that even with the recall and what they have done to correct the problem, that problems continue to exist with rifles being produced today?

Remington Recall

We sent a model 700 back to the factory to have the trigger reworked under the recall and when it came back it had a letter verifying that the work had been done to correct the problem. I certainly hope this problem has been corrected! If someone has neglected to heed the recall and their rifle falls under this category then I can understand that it may be dangerous to own and use this rifle. But, do you have facts to back up what you are stating concerning the current production of Remington rifles, or do I misunderstand your comment?

·
Keep calm & return fire!
12,744 Posts
do you have facts to back up what you are stating concerning the current production of Remington rifles, or do I misunderstand your comment?
this.
A very brief poke around the web finds nothing to support that claim.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in .308, paid about $800 for it. 20" threaded bull barrel 1:10" twist rate, HS Precision stock, & a stock trigger. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50mm with the EBR-1 MOA reticle, paid about $900ish for it, Burris XTR rings & a Weaver 20 MOA base. Harris S-BRM bipod, was a hair over $100 and then I have a SilencerCo Harvester .30 cal suppressor waiting for me to get the tax stamp back from the ATF, including tax stamp, sales tax & all it was about $900. So I've got around $3k in mine so far, it'll be more next year when I get to adding stuff to it, but as it is it'll work.
It's good to about 800 yards or so, can maybe make 1200 with the right hand loads but it'll most likely be falling out of the sky by the time it gets there. Look at the 6.5 calibers, I'm thinking 6.5 Creedmoor is what I'm going to re-barrel this .308 to when I get around to it. Good luck.

I'd also like to add that it's not yet misfired.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
They did a mass recall and fixed the problem. As far as I'm aware they fixed it anyway, I haven't heard any more about it since the recall.
And honestly the trigger is generally the first modification that is made to a Remington bolt gun anyway so it doesn't really matter to a lot of people.
I'm eyeballing a Shilen trigger myself.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
I have examined and worked on hundreds, if not thousands, of Remington 700 rifles. I have yet to see a Remington 700 AD/ND that was not the result of aftermarket 'trigger improvements', ie: lightening the pull, shortening the pull, etc., etc. The majority of these 'improvements' were done by ham handed amateurs.

·
Registered
19,186 Posts
I bought one of the last Remington 700 BDL's (30-06) configured with the old "recalled trigger" (circa 2007) and have elected to leave the epoxy that locks in the factory adjustment just like I bought it. I imagine if I can find the interest and energy, I'll send the rifle back for the Remington modification to what I believe is their Pro-Mark trigger configuration.

There's nothing so exciting as having yer ol' Dad, uncle Boozer, cuzin Jake or shootin buddy Chuck bless you with their knowledge and skilz in makin' that much desired "break like a glass rod" adjustment to your Remington 700, just for the excitement factor! Mmmmm doggies.....

Makes you wonder how Remington has sold something like 8 to 10 million 700's, what with that inherently treacherous, evil, booby-trapped trigger!

Spare me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts