National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up another 22, and I really like the feel of this little rifle. does anyone have any experience with this model? Is it a good buy, or should I direct my attention elsewhere? Please advise. Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 10/22 is a nice little rifle, but I just don't like the way the stock feels as well and I don't want to spend money to get a better stock-I just want to be able to buy a little plinker and not have to upgrade it to fit me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thats too bad, My first gun buy regret is when I bought a savage 22 semi instead of the 10/22 to save a few bucks.

Ended up buying the 10/22 and giving the savage away

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,702 Posts
Since Remington solved the magazine problems, the 597 is a fine rifle.

G

·
I have three 597s: .22LR with heavy stainless barrel and original equipment Evolution stock; .22WMR with heavy barrel and after-market Evolution stock; .17HMR with standard barrel and synthetic stock. All three are scoped as a concession to my 65-year-old eyes. The .22LR has 3d generation 10-rd magazines as well as three after-market 30-rd mags. After several thousand rounds (predominantly CCI Mini-Mags with Federal and Winchester bulk thrown in for seasoning) it is shooting flawlessly and accurately (-1" groups at 50 yards). I am completely satisfied with it and recommend it highly to anyone. As there aren't as many accessories for 597s as for 10/22s, you'll have more money for ammo and more time for the range.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I have one 597 & one on the way. Some of them need a little work to make them function well. Mine did. RimFireCentral has a very good 597 forum going on. If you have trouble with yours that's the place to learn how to fix it. If you don't have any trouble you can make yours even better. I recommend the Remmington 597 to any one who wants a good semi auto .22 rifle. :thumbsup:

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I think the 597s action was in large part modeled after a Ruger 10/22s action. The twin guide bars being one example.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts