National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I've owned a Uberti 1875 Remington in .45 Colt and shot several that belonged to friends. If you're buying new you're probably OK. I bought one of the revolvers that was marked EMF and Company I believe that QC was set at a much lower standard for these revolvers. I bought mine second hand and paid about half the retail price of the revolver. The slot for the front site blade was cut at a cockeyed angle giving the front site blade a serious cant to the right. I was able to repair this with some file work and silver soldering. This was a defect that should never have left the factory. The 75's with the post front site are generally not prone to this issue as the hole for the post is drilled and tapped for the post. All the Uberti marked 1875's I've handled exhibited good fit and finish and seemed to be of good mechanical quality. I don't have any experience with the 1890 Remington copies. In addition to the 1875 Remington I owned two Pietta 1858 New Model Army percussion revolvers and I used these in SASS competition with .45 Colt R&D conversion cylinders.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've owned a Uberti 1875 Remington in .45 Colt and shot several that belonged to friends. If you're buying new you're probably OK. I bought one of the revolvers that was marked EMF and Company I believe that QC was set at a much lower standard for these revolvers. I bought mine second hand and paid about half the retail price of the revolver. The slot for the front site blade was cut at a cockeyed angle giving the front site blade a serious cant to the right. I was able to repair this with some file work and silver soldering. This was a defect that should never have left the factory. The 75's with the post front site are generally not prone to this issue as the hole for the post is drilled and tapped for the post. All the Uberti marked 1875's I've handled exhibited good fit and finish and seemed to be of good mechanical quality. I don't have any experience with the 1890 Remington copies. In addition to the 1875 Remington I owned two Pietta 1858 New Model Army percussion revolvers and I used these in SASS competition with .45 Colt R&D conversion cylinders.
Best I can tell, the Cimarron branded seem to have the highest standards of the Uberti offerings. I had a few Uberti recently, one was a Taylor’s branded. The Taylor’s was horrible. Bad enough I’ll never own another. You probably remember that one. You’ve been in on a couple of these conversations: 1871 Open Top Navy 38 spl - Taylor’s & Co / Uberti

The Uberti branded 1873 Buntline had a large bur in the cylinder sleeve. I had to pound the pin out through the hammer block hole in the rear of the frame. Was easy enough to fix once I was able to get the pin out. It does shoot a little low which can be corrected by filing the sight but then that files off the bluing.

The Uberti Stallion Target .22 I have is an excellent gun. An absolutely gorgeous piece. Only issue I had with it was the additional cylinder. They sent me a 17 Mach 2 instead of the .22 magnum I ordered, but I think it was ordered from Taylor’s.

The Cimarron Wyatt Earp Buntline was another gorgeous piece. No issues with it. Side by side, the Cimarron branded had little bit of an edge in every aspect when compared to the Uberti branded Buntline.

I am going to stick with Cimarron branded moving forward. At least Cimarron is a US based company with a good rep if I have to deal with sending one back.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If I recall correctly the Cimarron made guns have the parts manufactured in Italy but, are assembled at the Cimarron plant in Texas. I've never heard any complaints about Cimarron. There was a time I would have swore by the quality of Taylor & Company but it seems their quality has gone down hill since then.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I recall correctly the Cimarron made guns have the parts manufactured in Italy but, are assembled at the Cimarron plant in Texas. I've never heard any complaints about Cimarron. There was a time I would have swore by the quality of Taylor & Company but it seems their quality has gone down hill since then.
I did not know Cimarron assembled them here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts