National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a fun round to reload I have discovered. The bullet is held by a small portion of the brass case and it is very easy to not get it tight enough and the bullet can slip down into the case.

As you know the 357sig round is a hot little bugger, it is very high pressure so you don't want your bullet slipping into the case, it will resut in increased pressures that are very dangerous. You must check the OAL of each and every bullet following reloading a box. Can't stress this enough! Be carefull.

I shoot the 357 sig in my model 32 Glock and love the ballistics. Its quite an effective round! Good Couger medicine!

I have the additional barrol that I can swap out of the Model 32 to shoot 40 cal and may just switch it over. The 40 is much easier to reload and is quite effective also.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................I get the feeling that I am the only one attempting to reload this sweet little barn burner!

You-all are missing out on a fun challenge!! :?

G

·
I have had very limited experience with the 357 Sig. I have loaded about 100 rounds so far and that was for a local LEO on an experimental basis.

You are correct about the case tension crimp. Bullet movement in feeding is a problem. My solution was a bit unorthodox and will probably get me in trouble with some. I removed the decapping assembly from the sizing die and bumped each round up against the neck sizer. The result was a slight; almost roll crimp at the upper end of the case. This seems to hold the bullet sufficiently. It also puts a small ring, somewhat like a cantalure, in the bullet.

My friend did report that they functioned OK but he hasn’t asked for any further development.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I've reloaded this caliber but only about 200 rnds worth. Not a lot of demand. I did it for my little G27 (for which I have an aftermarket .357S bbl).

It is a bugger to reload and I did run into bullet shifting issues after the 1st box I did. Since then I readjusted the seater and am using a Lee factory crimp die. That seems to have fixed it. But again, I only have 200 rounds experience to go by.

As an aside -- frankly, I don't see the attraction to the caliber. I know it's supposedly good ballistically, but personally I do not like the feel or the report. Not a pleasant cartridge, IMHO.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gunrnr said:
I've reloaded this caliber but only about 200 rnds worth. Not a lot of demand. I did it for my little G27 (for which I have an aftermarket .357S bbl).

It is a bugger to reload and I did run into bullet shifting issues after the 1st box I did. Since then I readjusted the seater and am using a Lee factory crimp die. That seems to have fixed it. But again, I only have 200 rounds experience to go by.

As an aside -- frankly, I don't see the attraction to the caliber. I know it's supposedly good ballistically, but personally I do not like the feel or the report. Not a pleasant cartridge, IMHO.
It is a very loud cal. I get looks at the indoor range when I fire it. We have a no magumn policy since the range is indoor and close to neighbors and people thing its mag in report!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.