National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I normaly do the calculations manually. The cost of the case and my time are the variables I have problems nailing down. Amortizing the cost of the equipment is usually the forgotten or neglected component of cost.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have been on the fence with reloading.
But recent events and major shortages have been thinking real hard on this.
The cost is becoming less an issue as having a supply of ammo

·
Aim true !
9,766 Posts
Im happy i made the choice to reload. Especially now with all the panic buying going on.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
great little calculator......i think it needs to be in a "sticky" for the board.....

i normally calculate my own way with pen/paper/calculator....but this all-in-one site makes it a bit faster.

and i wanted to know so i checked.......can do 50 rds of 32 s&w Long for around $6.70/box.......beats the heck out of factory 50 rds for $19 plus tax

·
Aim true !
9,766 Posts
Speaking of 32 sw long. It's been awhile since i had my little wheel gun out.

·
Super Moderator
11,083 Posts
Pen and paper for me. No biggie, really. Just a quick calc after each loading batch.

--Wag--

·
Registered
569 Posts
I normaly do the calculations manually. The cost of the case and my time are the variables I have problems nailing down. Amortizing the cost of the equipment is usually the forgotten or neglected component of cost.

I'm kinda like you, but I do my current estimate.
My system keeps me in touch with current handloading costs.
Like how much is costs per box and per 100 currently.
I do my calculations with a spreadsheet. Guess you could call that manually.
Don't amortize the cost of equipment.
Do figure 6 (sometimes more) reloadings per case or hull. Use new prices.
I use current prices on all components and powder,
even if some were bought previously at lower prices.
Up date these prices about every 6 months.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks. I’ve done calculations in my head and the one usually varies is the powder which is a pain to recalculate. I don’t calculate brass because most of it is reused from factory loads but it’s a nice feature because it takes into consideration the number of uses. The exception are the 500 mags because those rounds are so expensive that buying new brass actually makes sense, even at $0.65/casing.

For my 40 S&Ws without brass considered:

$0.170 per round
$3.40 per 20 round box
$8.50 per 50 round box
$170.00 per 1000 round lot

Better than I expected. I just loaded 1,000 rds of 40. The only thing it needs is tax rate to reflect actual costs but this is enough to compare to a box off the shelf, which I can’t touch for under $15 / 50rds right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts