National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with some of my reloads. they will not chamber. I have trimmed them to 1.50 case length and I'm using fl sizing X dies from RCBS. I set the dies as recommended in the Speer manual sent with the press and dies. This doesn't happen with all shells around 1/3.
Please help
Don :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you crimping the bullet? A friend of mine had a problem with his .416 Rem Mag. He was putting a heavy crimp on the bullet and it was crimping it tight before it was finished seating. As a result about half of his cases were bulging at the shoulder. Once we backed off on the crimp he had no more problems. The solution was to seat and crimp in separate steps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It just involves not turning the seating die so far into the press. With a light recoiling round like the .223 I really don't see any need for crimping. On my frined's .416 Rem Mag, a crimp was needed to keep the bullets in the cartridges in the magazine from slipping under recoil.

Let us know what the problem was when you find the source.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gaveup reloading 223, bettween my 10 thumbs and that tiny shell I could not get a return on my investment, I was ruining about %10 of my shells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.