National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a lot of trouble reloading 223, Mostly with the primers. I bought a RCBS supreme press and the primmers don't want to seat in the pocket. Does these cases need to be reamed or what? The stupid hand primer that came in the set worked for about 25 primes and now it wants to seat the primmer of center or sideways. Any help would be great.
Don C. :cry:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first off welcome to the board.

and rcbs stands behind there product 100% if you call there tech support thell walk you threw it or send you replacment parts which ever is required

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I call but they are closed on friday. I did ream the primmer socket out alittle and it worked a lot better. If you load 223 what powder do you use and want kind of load.
Thanks
Don :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, have you had any problems seating primmers.
Don

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have been using an RCBS bench mounted priming tool for many years and have never had any problems with it. Recently, however, I began teaching a friend of mine to reload and he was having a lot of problems seating primers. As I watched him closely I found that he was holding the case tightly against the rear of the shell holder while trying to seat the primer. This prevented the case from being able to "slip" into alignment with the priming stem as the stem was raised to seat the primer. When I brought this to his attention and instructed him to simply place the case in position and then let go if it, his problems disappeared. Perhaps this might be of help to you.

Also, I use H-335 powder almost exclusively in reloading for my .223. I've tried W-748, BLC-2, IMR-4198, and a smattering of other powders. I found that overall H-335 has given me the best accuracy. Also, with my rifle (Remington M-700 VSSF), I've had the best luck with bullets over 60 grains. At the present I'm working up loads for a varmint style AR-15 and my preliminary results seem to favor the heavier bullets as well. The AR has a 1:10 twist barrel and if I'm not mistaken the Remington has a 1:9.

One interesting thing I discovered with the Remington involved H-335 powder versus IMR-4198. I sighted in at 200 yards (the maximum availabe at my shooting range) using H-335 loads. The IMR-4198 loads shot about 2 inches lower using the same scope setting. But the IMR-4198 load was almost perfectly sighted in at 100 yards. This gave me a 200 yard zero using the H-335 loads and a 100 yard zero using the IMR-4198 loads without having to make any scope adjustments.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought some shell cases on ebay mostly LC. they were quit a bit to long to chamber in my DPMS AR15 and had to trim them. They were also the ones I had trouble primming. I did ream out the primer socket and they work well now. I am using Alliant 15 powder, but the load they give will not fit in the case (27 grain) I'm using a 55gr bullet.
thanks
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts