National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently Turned 18 and Ive always been Interested in the AK-47s because I believe theyre very reliable weapons that are well built and durable. And Since I turned 18 I am finally old enough to buy own and possess a long gun. I am a resident of texas so I know gun control Is relatively Non Existent. I'm looking to buy an AK-47 And I want some advice from some knowledgeable Long time owners of AK-47s or SKS related weapons about a reliable AK brand And Ive seen riley defense and some other brands on atlantic firearms But I would prefer a russian or romanian made AK or somewhere in that area because Ive been told theyre alot more well built and reliable and just overall more appealing. Im looking to get an AK To replace my current Mossberg Maverick 88 which is my current home defense weapon and As I am not legally old enough to posess a handgun I want to have a good semi automatic firearm with the means of firing quick enough to take down an imposing threat due to the fact I live in a pretty rough neighborhood in south dallas. Im also looking for advice on how to properly adress not only the FFL but the company I purchase it from once I select the AK I feel is best because I want to do everything very legally and not present any reason for suspiscion due to our crazy society. Any good info is much apprecited. Thank you

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just recently Turned 18 and Ive always been Interested in the AK-47s because I believe theyre very reliable weapons that are well built and durable. And Since I turned 18 I am finally old enough to buy own and possess a long gun. I am a resident of texas so I know gun control Is relatively Non Existent. I'm looking to buy an AK-47 And I want some advice from some knowledgeable Long time owners of AK-47s or SKS related weapons about a reliable AK brand And Ive seen riley defense and some other brands on atlantic firearms But I would prefer a russian or romanian made AK or somewhere in that area because Ive been told theyre alot more well built and reliable and just overall more appealing. Im looking to get an AK To replace my current Mossberg Maverick 88 which is my current home defense weapon and As I am not legally old enough to posess a handgun I want to have a good semi automatic firearm with the means of firing quick enough to take down an imposing threat due to the fact I live in a pretty rough neighborhood in south dallas. Im also looking for advice on how to properly adress not only the FFL but the company I purchase it from once I select the AK I feel is best because I want to do everything very legally and not present any reason for suspiscion due to our crazy society. Any good info is much apprecited. Thank you
Good luck on finding a Russian made AK. The messiah Obama banned import of Russian made AK's back in 2014 under the guise of "we must sanction Russian businesses" as punishment for invading Ukraine. So now it's mostly just Century Arms or Atlantic Firearms imported from other countries or US made AKs from places like Palmetto State Armory.

Here is a good overview of what you can get and from who.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hi, Johny8675, Welcome to the NGF.

I believe the rifle you are referring to may be the AKM. They don't make actual AK-47s, anymore, and I think you are referring to the far more widespread semi-automatic variant, which is widely available. As to AKMs, there are a lot of models available. Most are fairly dependable, but not accurate, in the extreme. The GP1975 is fairly middle of the road, price and quality wise, and they are available with a synthetic stock, which is one less thing to worry about.

As to home defense, spend whole lot less than an AK, consider home security. Get an alarm system, exterior lighting, better fencing and gates, a dog, motion detectors, better door and window locks, storm doors( most criminals avoid storm doors, for break-ins). These will keep criminals outside, rendering the need to shoot them moot.

·
Super Moderator
13,059 Posts
Your Maverick 88 shotgun would serve you much better in a home defense roll than an AKM type weapon.
Agreed.

That said, though, if you're just looking for a good range toy, the AK and SKS rifles in 7.62 x 39 are a hoot!

Keep the shotgun, save some more cash and do it right. Patience, young padawan!! :)

--Wag--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your Maverick 88 shotgun would serve you much better in a home defense roll than an AKM type weapon.
Alright. I Just wanted a semi Auto rifle due to the fact I live with other people and dont want to risk injuring them and while I do have slugs a slug would penetrate through all the walls of the house and exit my house most likely and end up hurting somebody else. and birdshort/ buckshot has a chance of injuring somebody in my house by going through the thin drywall. Because Ive had pellet guns go off in my younger days and one of my powerful break barrel ones ended up penetrating through both 2 sheets of drywall and insulation into the next room and if that could I have no doubts birdshot would.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed.

That said, though, if you're just looking for a good range toy, the AK and SKS rifles in 7.62 x 39 are a hoot!

Keep the shotgun, save some more cash and do it right. Patience, young padawan!! :)

--Wag--
And I do have a pretty good job for my age and my living expenses arent very high so I could afford to pay 1000-1500 for a good AK type rifle. But Unless I find one I feel meets my standards Ill Continue to have my shotgun as my main home defense weapon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck on finding a Russian made AK. The messiah Obama banned import of Russian made AK's back in 2014 under the guise of "we must sanction Russian businesses" as punishment for invading Ukraine. So now it's mostly just Century Arms or Atlantic Firearms imported from other countries or US made AKs from places like Palmetto State Armory.

Here is a good overview of what you can get and from who.
I couldnt appreciate that link more Its cleared up alot of the questions Ive been having.

·
Super Moderator
13,059 Posts
Just know that nearly every rifle is going to over penetrate your walls and put others at risk.

--Wag--

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just know that nearly every rifle is going to over penetrate your walls and put others at risk.

--Wag--
Im aware of that But the reason I say that is hollow points expand on impact but at so close range I dont trust my hollow point slugs will completely expand on impact at that close of range on whoever the target is because its such a large round with so much power compared to a 7.62x39

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
Get yourself a Pit bull. We have 2 pitts. Then you wont have to worry about penitrating walls. A rifle round is going to no matter of the projectile.

Reactions: Zhills

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
Our pittys are sweat hearts too. Untill they sense something is not right.

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
We have a leash law here. But when we hike. I let them roam. They don't go to far away from us though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited by Moderator)
We have a leash law here. But when we hike. I let them roam. They don't go to far away from us though.
We have a leash law here. Im speaking more as if he got out accidentally like alot of dogs do where they think its a game to run. The only time Id intentionally let it out unless its on a leash would be in a situation such as I described where they can investigate while I assess the threat to decide what Im gonna do about it because where I live the police are very shorthanded and if they do show up they take their sweet time so its really on the people to handle themselves because dallas is no joke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts