National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
<p>
Over 30 years ago my late father in law stopped by one day and handed me a plastic gun case and said have fun. It was his plain jane old 721 in 30.06 that he had used as an all purpose ranch gun in New Mexico for many years. I had shot it from time to time over the years with its iron sights but never really did much with it. Friend of mine in Idaho asked me to come out and elk hunt with him next year so I recently dug it out again. It had a safety recall on it (removal of bolt lock to enable clearing the weapon with the safety on), so I rang up Remington and they sent me a FEDEX label and a work order and I sent it out to their locally contracted gunsmith. The recall was performed and I got it back. About the same time, another friend was digging around and found a Weaver Kv 2 3/4 x 5 scope and gave it to me. I went to work on that and found it was in great condition with just some surface rust. I looked for a 721 stock but no joy, the guys who advertised them did not have them in stock and there was an 18 month lead time for one. So I found a Rem 700 long action stock at Stockys. I rang them up and talked to a nice knowledgeable gal for awhile. She emailed me a video on using a 700 stock for a 721 which showed the only difference was the 700 stock needed a little dremel work for the 721 safety. That turned out to be EXACTLY right. the 721 action fit the 700 stock like a glove, with some dremel work at the safety. So with the help of a Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant friend of mine who knows all things weaponry, we did the deed, and laser zeroed it. Just needs to send some lead down range and validate the laser and it will be ready for elk. I posted the before and after pics. I think it came out pretty good and I think my WW2 vet father in law is looking down right now and smiling.</p>

Attachments

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Nice work. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Phrog Driver
1 - 6 of 6 Posts