National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
It would most likely depend on the state and city you are in. You even have to register a shotgun in NJ or NY, etc...

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I`m not familar with PA laws but I do not believe registration is required.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
The receiver wasn't registered when you bought it? Or was that a kit also? Curious.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
Pretty sure the receiver had to be registered.
That's what I was thinking. Unless it was something he made from parts then there would be none. That would be great gunsmithing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I build my own AK-47 from parts, do I have to register it? I want to build one but want to know what I have to do to be legal.
If you use a complete new receiver, that has to be shipped to an ffl, that receiver is already on the books in your name, just like buying any gun from a dealer. Since that receiver has a serial number, and the receiver is what ATF calls the "gun" that gun is already "registered" (in the NICS system).

If however, you build an AK from a parts set, using an "80%" receiver, there are no serial numbers on it. An "80%" receiver, is one that is not completely finished, yet has been designed to ATF specs, and requires certain "finish work" to complete, has no serial number on it. The best example is the Tapco 80% receiver flat, which has all the proper holes in it,but must be bent (accurately) into the final shape, the center cross member riveted into it, and the bolt carrier rails spot welded into position. I have the tools and jigs to bend these flats, and to spot weld the bolt carrier rails into place, and have built several guns in this way. ATF rules do NOT require a serial number on a gun that you build for yourself. They very strongly suggest you put one on there, but not a requirement. You cannot legally sell a gun that you built, that does NOT have a registered receiver with serial number, under ATF rules! You cannot build a "registered receiver" with serial number on it, and sell it, unless you have a "manufacturers license". Quite a few people now are buying complete receivers, with serial numbers on it, and assembling a gun from parts, using that receiver. I know several people who build AR-15's this way, and sell them, and as far as I know it is legal, as the weapon has a "registered receiver" which is considered "the gun".

I don't know what all the various state and local rules may be, but as far as ATF is concerned, you have a right to build a gun, for yourself, that is otherwise legal to own (can't build a machine gun, for instance) but because it does NOT have a registered receiver, legally, under ATF rules it is not really a "gun".

It is clear to me that you can buy an AK parts kit, build a receiver from scratch, or use an 80% one, and have a finished gun, with no serial number on it, and this is OK by ATF as, since there is no "registered receiver" it is not a "gun". There are undoubtedly "certain advantages" to having a gun that "legally" has no serial numbers on it. It is almost impossible to trace, and does not appear on anbody's list of "who owns what". I do put numbers on mine, just in case one is stolen or something, but it is not required.

Many skilled people build guns from scratch, some starting with maybe just a barrel, others with parts kits of various kinds, all ending up with a working gun and this is all perfectly legal, according to ATF rules, provided it is not a firearm that is "illegal under the law by definition". One of my sons is a machinist and does gun work, and has been fascinated in obsolete guns. It is truly amazing what one can build, that is fully legal to own!

WC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts