National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My dad passed away almost 20 years ago (1997) and he left behind a Universal M1 Carbine .30 Cal rifle for me. My mom is pretty sure he got it from his service in the US military but I don't know when he served nor do I know if this is completely accurate.I never got it registered because I was never into guns but I recently started getting more into them.

I'm a California resident and I just wanted to know if there's any possibility that authorities can take away my dad's rifle from me if I register?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi, avatarjoe, welcome to the NGF from the swamp.

I'm not aware that you have to register every firearm you own

in CA, but IANAL, and I don't know your laws.

How would they know you had it, if you didn't tell them?

Do you know anybody who lives in a more gun friendly state?

Perhaps you could store it there.

Consider having it appraised and selling it. Some M1 carbines are

worth a pot of dough. You would probably be just as happy shooting

a mini-14, very similar, cheaper ammo, but not a major tear-jerker, if CA confiscated it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
While i am not going to encourage you to break the law, I see no reason to invite trouble by giving out information that is nobodies business but yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks therewolf! I did see that and the odd thing is that my serial number doesn't fall into any of those ranges. The only piece of info that is consistent with their website is that it's a Universal M1 Carbine .30 cal made in Hialeah, Florida.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
i am not aware of Universal being awarded any military contracts............

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Deputy, so do you mean that the rifle would not have been from the military?

According to this site: Universal M1 Carbine Production History

"Universal Firearms started out as Bullseye in 1950, and later changed their name to Universal Firearms. They were bought by Iver Johnson in 1983, who were then bought by American Military Arms Corp (AMAC) in 1987."

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,986 Posts
Your Universal .30 caliber M1 carbine is a civilian version of the military carbine. Neither Universal nor any company associated with it ever manufactured carbines for the US military.

I live in California and, given your situation, I would not say a word. The carbine was never registered. The state does not know it exists. I see no good reason to change this fact.

·
56,986 Posts
A total of 6,221,220 U.S.Caliber M1 .30 carbines were made for the US military during WWII (the only time they were made for the military).

Below are the companies that made the carbine for the US military.

Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C.
Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Co.
Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C.
National Postal Meter Co.
Quality Hardware & Machine Co.
International Business Machines Corp (IBM).
Standard Products Co.
Rock-Ola Co.

There were also commercial M1 carbine models produced from 1960's to 1980's by Iver Johnson, Plainfield Machine Co. & Universal Sporting Goods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, Popeye! I happen to live in the central valley as well!

This really makes me wonder where he got the rifle from then...

I actually just found this on the DoJ website: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

"How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?
  • There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you must submit a Firearm Ownership Report (FOR) Application (BOF 4542A), pdf to the California Department of Justice (the Department) for any firearm you are seeking return where no other record is on file with the Department identifying you as the most recent owner/possessor. Having a FOR application on file with the Department will authorize the return of your firearm in the event it is subsequently lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer. If you purchased a handgun from a properly licensed California firearms dealer and underwent a background check via the state’s Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process, a record of your handgun purchase is already on file with the Department. Therefore, it should not be necessary for you to submit a FOR application for handguns previously purchased in California. Unfortunately, this is not the case with regards to rifles or shotguns. Prior to January 1, 2014, the Department was prohibited by law from retaining DROS long gun information."

·
56,986 Posts
"However, you must submit a Firearm Ownership Report (FOR) Application (BOF 4542A), pdf to the California Department of Justice (the Department) for any firearm you own where no other record is on file with the Department identifying you as the most recent owner/possessor." Plus pay the $19.00 fee per firearm.

That's nothing more than using a bunch of words to say, 'registration'.

·
56,986 Posts
The state is working hard to compile a list of every firearm (and owner) in the state of California. I see no valid reason to support this endeavor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand that the state is compiling this list, but do you know if they could potentially take away my rifle? That's my main concern. I want to be able to take my rifle out to the range without having to look over my shoulder all the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.