National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the "60%of" max loads for H4895 powder. according the manual? :--- :?:
just me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right. Wasen't going that far. Was just wondering if anyone-else had tried it.
I'll not be going more than 20% below max,if that low.
Thanks a bunch :---
just me

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've never tried loads like you described. And I would be quite hesitant to load such light loads. I have loaded light charges of fast burning powder in lead bullet .45/70 cartridges, but these were documented loads taken from reloading manuals. The charges were SO light that the powder only filled a very small portion of the case. I slipped a small wad of tissue paper down on top of each charge of powder so as to help keep the powder against the primer when firing. The tissue paper burns upon firing and I had very good luck with these loads.

I would caution against experimenting with any loads not documented in a recognized loading manual. As stated above, ultra-light loads can be just as dangerous as over maximum loads due to detonation.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I pretty much stick with the ranges of powder listed in the various manuals. Lyman is the one I use a lot and I have many others. I find the accuracy and target loads specified for most of the powders and bullet weights are very accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts