National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you own either? Either way which do you prefer and why. Post pics if you want to.

G

·
I have several of each. Either would be a good purchase, both are built like tanks and can handle hot loads. Over the years it seems to me that if you want to shoot mostly lead you should stick with the Blackhawk. The Redhawk seems to shoot jacketed bullets a little better. I mentioned this to a buddy that shoots even more than I, and he said that it seemed to be the same with his but thought he was the only one that noticed.
I have never seen an article or test data to prove or disprove our theory, but the more I load for both the more I find that the Redhawk can get some really good results with jacketed bullets. As good or better than my S&W or my Colt.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you carry a Redhawk with like a six inch barrel, i hear they're a lot more bulky than the smiths

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I had a big honkin Ruger Super Redhawk with a scope for a time. Its was heavy as heck and dead nuts accurate. In stainless steel with a 7+ inch barrel. I needed some cash and sold it for $600 which was a lot more than I paid for it back in the 1980's.

You can't go wrong with any of the Ruger revolvers. Tough as a tank!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Blackhawk vs. Redhawk

I may be stating the obvious - but the Blackhawk is single action only, while the Redhawk in all its different configurations is DA/SA - the choice to handle and carry a single action revolver for self defense certainly will require a lot more handling practice and experience to become proficient and quick. There are many folks who carry SA revolvers - but lots more that prefer the more simple to operate DA system.
Weight and overall size of either of these guns is way up there when considering concealed carry. Open carry is another story entirely. The Super Redhawk now comes in a "snubby" configuration - but it is chambered in some hellaciously powerful rounds for defense against bears - not really self defense or CCW calibers.
My opinion - you want a concealed carry revolver - get a J, K or N size frame S&W, Ruger, Taurus or Charter Arms piece.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I may be stating the obvious - but the Blackhawk is single action only, while the Redhawk in all its different configurations is DA/SA - the choice to handle and carry a single action revolver for self defense certainly will require a lot more handling practice and experience to become proficient and quick. There are many folks who carry SA revolvers - but lots more that prefer the more simple to operate DA system.
Weight and overall size of either of these guns is way up there when considering concealed carry. Open carry is another story entirely. The Super Redhawk now comes in a "snubby" configuration - but it is chambered in some hellaciously powerful rounds for defense against bears - not really self defense or CCW calibers.
My opinion - you want a concealed carry revolver - get a J, K or N size frame S&W, Ruger, Taurus or Charter Arms piece.

I agree. The J frames are perfect for carry. I prefer the Smiths but for a revolver that might be lost following a defensive shooting the Charter is a good choice since the cost is low. That is the same logic I use with the Kel-tec and Bersa pistols. If you lose them you are out $300 or less.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If your going to go with a Ruger don't forget the old Security-Six models as they can be pick up at affordable prices at shops and shows. :thumbsup:

Ruger Speed-Six

Top two are very old Security-Sixs and the Speed-Six.

G

·
Sorry everybody. 44mag lover's screen name threw me off, I thought he was asking only for a comparison on the 44 mag offerings or I would have mentioned SP 101s, security and speed sixes.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
I have handled both and they are mighty fine handguns. I prefer my Redhawk because I like DA revolvers.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have both and like both for different reasons. I got the super blackhawk about 15 years ago and that only made me want more rugers.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have both. I have killed a deer with the 45 Colt Redhawk but I just recently got the Spuer Blackhawk so I haven't hunted with it yet. They both shoot great. It depends which side of the bed I get up on in the morning as to which of them I prefer.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry everybody. 44mag lover's screen name threw me off, I thought he was asking only for a comparison on the 44 mag offerings or I would have mentioned SP 101s, security and speed sixes.

hahaha. truth be told i was but all posts are welcome

G

·
The guns are so different, it's like asking do you like dogs or cats. I've had both, like both of them. But my choice would be the Redhawk. I really like the 4" Redhawk and also like the Alaskan too. I guess I like the option of the double action. Strongest revolver in the world was the 357 Mag Redhawk. Lots of extra metal on that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.