National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant decide I have one of each in .44mag but would like another to mount a scope on for deer hunting. Looking at the super redhawk and the super blackhawk hunter both in stainless.
Kind of leaning more toward the blackhawk, most of my shots would be single action anyway but the double action would allow for a faster follow up shot if needed.
What do you think?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Cant decide I have one of each in .44mag but would like another to mount a scope on for deer hunting. Looking at the super redhawk and the super blackhawk hunter both in stainless.
Kind of leaning more toward the blackhawk, most of my shots would be single action anyway but the double action would allow for a faster follow up shot if needed.
What do you think?

I had the Super Redhawk with a nice scope mounted on it back about ten years ago. Its one massive firearm and a beautiful piece of work. Very accurate and the weight soaks up the recoil. That would be my choice even though the cost may be a bit more.

I just like the way it looks and how the scope mounts to the frame. It looks a lot more balanced to me than the Hunter version of the single action.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
I hunt with Ruger Super Blackhawk revolvers. I own all six incarnations of Ruger's Hunter series big bore revolvers. None of my Ruger big bore revolvers wear scopes as, even at my (semi-advanced) age and diminished eyesight, I prefer open sights.

Leedi, my better half, has a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk. She is spooky accurate with it.

To answer your question; your choice should depend on which revolver feels best and points most naturally in your hands. This is what is most important since the best fit for your hands will provide you with the best accuracy and quickest followup shots.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I am with Popeye on this. How a gun feels means an alful lot to me in how accurate I will be with it in the field. I never use a double action shot as I always shoot single action even if I have a double action revolver. :biggrin5:

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
go with the redhawk, definitly

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Double actions load a little easier I guess too. I dunno, I would have a tough time with this one also. I do think the Super Redhawk looks better scoped.

·
Hunter of Ducks
677 Posts
yep I agree 100% with those who said see what works best in your hand. both are beautiful and reliable guns you cant go wrong.

as far as fallow up shots, how many times have you need 1 ? to me the 2nd shot has not been needed, how much longer will it take to shoot the black VS the Red? not to much I don't think that should be the selling point of the gun as it ( the fallow up shot ) will most likely not be needed. 1 well placed shot with either of these guns in plenty.

god luck.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
I hunt with Ruger Super Blackhawk revolvers. I own all six incarnations of Ruger's Hunter series big bore revolvers. None of my Ruger big bore revolvers wear scopes as, even at my (semi-advanced) age and diminished eyesight, I prefer open sights.

Leedi, my better half, has a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk. She is spooky accurate with it.

To answer your question; your choice should depend on which revolver feels best and points most naturally in your hands. This is what is most important since the best fit for your hands will provide you with the best accuracy and quickest followup shots.
I'm a Redhawk red dot man myself, eyeballz failing as I grow more mature. :lol: This Millet red dot can sure handle the recoil of the .44 mag.

You can tell how shaky I am with my left hand here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts