National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm doing a Design Project for school that has to do with redesigning ear protection muffs. I was wondering if you could give me some inputs on what you would like to see improve. The main part I am working on is the head band. Would you rather have the band go on top of the head, or behind? Any materials you would prefer, like metal or plastic? Would you prefer to adjust the size by a ratchet type mechanism or the sliders that are commonly used now? I'm sure this isn't a normal posting on this forum, but I'd like input from the people who actually use this product and others like it. Any input you could give me would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
It would be nice if there were some sort of valve you could open to hear people talk better when firing is not going on... so you could hear without taking the muffs off, and then flip a valve back closed for maximum protection when firing begins

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
wow, those are nice, but I'm sure out of my price range... I was thinking some kind of silicone seal that can be opened and closed with the turn of a lever... I know not as nice, but much more affordable.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Also, I'd prefer a behind the head, headband. If you could create a more precise sizing mechanism, that stays in place, that too would be an added benefit. Just my .02

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
wow, those are nice, but I'm sure out of my price range... I was thinking some kind of silicone seal that can be opened and closed with the turn of a lever... I know not as nice, but much more affordable.
You can get a pair made by Winchester from Walmart for about 20 bucks. Had not been for them on time in Iraq Afghan etc then I would be deaf.

WE had it set up that the VC and one other in the truck had earpro on incase an IED so he could still talk on comm. Everyone in my MAP team had them. They work great.

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
A ratcheting headstrap would be nice, something like the adjustable hardhats with the knob on the back comes to mind, preferrably in a polymer to keep cost down and for easy cleaning. Also, replaceable..."boots" would be nice. By that I mean the rubber ring that actually makes the seal to the user's hear/head.

If you felt really energetic, you could have an all in one hardhat/hearing protector with listeny valves. That wouldn't exactly be useful for firearms use but would probably have a good market in industrial settings.

·
Appreciated Member
179 Posts
How about an in-your face headband that doubles as safety glasses too?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts